Can the CD player read data discs containing MP3s?

suppose that i burn a cd-rom with mp3s from my laptop. could i play this cd on the standard stereo on the 2004 nissan maxima's cd player?

Reply to
Brablo

FWIW, I can do that using the standard stereo on my 2000 SE.

Reply to
Don

I think you are confusing making an audio CD from MP3s, with an MP3-CD itself.

The factory head-units (Bose and non-Bose) will NOT play a CD that contains just MP3s.

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 137k
Reply to
njmodi

I download music in realplayer format and burn CD's that I play on my 2005 Maxima all the time

The song titles display on the readout...well the first 12-15 letters do. It won't scroll like my I-pod does but u can see what is playing.

The same songs play on the I-pod too

Shawn

Reply to
The Axelrods

Why would we be talking about anything but making an audio CD from MP3s?

Reply to
Don

I'll try once more :)

Putting an MP3 onto a CD using the CD as a "data CD" is completely different from converting an MP3 into a audio-CD format track and creating an "audio CD".

The reason people like to do the former (create an MP3-CD) is that you can store ~100+ songs per CD, as opposed to the ~15 songs that you may get if you convert the MP3 tracks into audio CD format.

The newer headunits (some factory, most aftermarket) can play regular commercial audio CDs, home-made audio CDs (made from MP3s or otherwise), as well as a CD that just contains the actual MP3s (what I am referring to as an MP3 CD).

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Right, I know that.

just contains the actual MP3s (what I

My 2000 SE CD player can't handle MP3s on data CDs, it's true. But as far as I know, the vast majority of car CD players are still incapable of playing data CDs. Yet you just assumed that the original poster, who asked, "suppose that i burn a cd-rom with mp3s from my laptop. could i play this cd on the standard stereo on the 2004 nissan maxima's cd player?" was asking about data CDs, rather than audio CDs, and then accused me of "confusing" the matter. Give me a break.

Don

Reply to
Don

Brablo, That would depend the format you used to create the CD. If you just created a CD with MP3's, then no the 2004 can't decode MP3's. If you convert them to .wav files and record them as an audio CD then it will work.

Mike

Reply to
The Vulcan

just contains the actual MP3s (what I

The CD player needs to be able to handle the mp3 codec. If it can, the data structure is not important - as the player will also be able to sort thru the mp3 files and organize them using the header information of the mp3 (genre, artist, album, and so forth). It seems that even the cheapest cd players now have this capability. If your manual lists mp3 as a compatible file format - then all should be fine,

Hey, just burn some mp3 files to the root of a CDR and see if it works. I know my Bose unit in my 2000 cannot read them, but maybe a

2004 can,,? If it can't, worse thing that will happen is you will get an unknown disc error.
Reply to
AZV14

Excellent point,,,in fact I think that Nero and WMP will allow you to do this directly. Essentially you are uncompressing the mp3s back into its original wave file. Music CDs are .wav files.

Now of course if the mp3s you have are >Brablo, That would depend the format you used to create the CD. If you just

Reply to
AZV14

I'll tell you what Don - here is the EXACT subject of the OP's first post in this thread:

"Can the CD player read data discs containing MP3s?"

Now you tell me who is confusing the matter and who really needs to take a break for some fresh air.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.west.cox.net:

You miss the point of making an MP3 disc. You can get more music onto a disc if it is in MP3 format. So ripping your CDs and cramming them onto one disc makes a lot of sense. Longer playing time, Less need to swap disks.

Reply to
Gordon

Yes,,that swapping disks every hour or so is a real killer...

of course you might use the radio if you wanted to avoid that trauma.

Reply to
common_ sense