'96 Maxima Electrical Problems

I was having problems with the car stalling while driving, the radio going off and on and the air bag light flickering off and on as well.

I replaced the battery and alternator and that didn't help. The problems became more frequent.

I then replaced the engine coils and sparkplugs. That worked fine for about two weeks. Then the car started acting sluggish when accelerating. Now I'm back to square one with the radio going off and on, the stalling, having trouble starting (sometime it starts right up, sometimes I just hear a rapid clicking noise). The A/C and the lights are turn on no problem.

I'm at a loss as to what to look at next. The car only starts when it wants to.

Reply to
GSBernard

Jon Smith

I was able to jump start it. The voltage meter is reading 12.2 with nothing on, 10.0 with the lights on. I let my car run for about 10 minutes, then it died.

I jumped it again and let it run for 20 minutes. It slow cranked but started up and the lights and radio worked this time.

Any further thoughts?

Reply to
GSBernard

Reply to
Jon Smith

Nope. Everything on it is original. The only non-Nissan item in the alternator I replaced when the mechanic told me the battery was dead and I should replace the alternator. That's when all this other stuff started.

Reply to
GSBernard

Check for corroded grounding terminal causing intermittent connection.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

I have a 98 Maxima and I am having the same exact problem. I have the flashing air bag indicator, battery indicator and my car was idling funny, no radio sound, but radio was on.....and now my car won't start.

I was going to replace the alternator because I replaced my battery about

3 weeks ago. But it sounds like that won't help either.

This seems to be a common problem among Maximas, but is there a common solution?

Reply to
jdwmoney

I did check the voltage on the battery this morning and it read 12.11 without the car running. I jumped it and the readout was anywhere from

12.22 to 8.7. I had them replace the alternator since it's under warranty. So far so good. I'm getting 12.77 with the car idle and 13.60 with it running.
Reply to
GSBernard

Reply to
Veeffer

I am having the exact same problems but with an infiniti i30. I have had the starter replaced, the alternator replaced twice and have replaced the fsl for the battery. The car will run with a full charge for approximately an hour and then will sputter and die. The voltage being supplied to the engine is to little to keep it running. What if anything have you all done to rectify this situation. I am at my wits end. I love the car, but, these problems are driving me to drink!

Reply to
ataloss