Decent tires for a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE

Can anyone recommend a good set of replacement tires for a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE, tire size 225 50 R17

The stock Bridgestone Potentzas lasted about 30K miles, but really were only good for the first 15K, I kept them on and slid all over the place in the winter and even in light rain.

The latest tires I got were Kumho Ecsta ASX because they seemed to have good reviews and had a 420 wear rating, however 1 year or approximately

16K miles later they are worn out and in rain I am already sliding.

Can someone please recommend a good tire that will last, or has a good warranty as the 2 above came with no wear warranty.

My wifes Acura has Arizonian tires with about 35K wear, and they are still in great shape, and good traction, but my local tire shop said there is no equivalent for my tire size.

I am looking for something with a good tread wear, will last 30K plus miles without a big degradation in performance, decent traction in snow and rain and affordable, I really don't want to spend $220 a tire anymore.

Thanks

Reply to
trpost

Don't know if you're familiar with these folks but you can read customer reviews of pretty much every tire they sell. I punched up all-season tires for your car and got 25 different tires, all save one under $200.00. Some well under. P'raps you'll find something that suits you.

Can anyone recommend a good set of replacement tires for a 2003 Nissan

Reply to
Grampa Wolfie

Michelin tires are always highly recommended. My personal experience has been excellent with the Yokohama Avid line. I believe on the SE, you would need the V-series, so look up Yokohama Avid V4s. Mine have been excellent so far, best wet-traction I've ever had on the Max and they are wearing very evenly and at an acceptable rate.

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 138k
Reply to
njmodi

Reply to
common_ sense

No winter here in Az, so cant comment on snow handling.

But I bought Nitto NT450 from Discount tire for my 2000 SE. Not to many Mfgs make that size tire.

Tires for the SE are major pricey,,well over 200 each if you go with Pirreli or Michelins. The Nittos were about 120 each, and ride much better than the original bridgestones, which I never could keep at 32 psi without jarring my kidneys out. They also seem to be wearing well, and I did spring for the extra DT replacement warrantee.

Reply to
common_ sense

I don't know if Goodyear is a dirty word around here or what but I got a set of new Eagle ResponsEdge for $156 a tire, balanced & mounted. Great so far. Goodyear has a list price of $225 but I haven't seen anyone in Atlanta selling them for much over $175

Jenna Tulls

Michelins are highly recommended because dealers make higher profits on them; the guy at my local sears admitted it.

My experience with Michelins is that most of them are terrible tires on wet roads. The Tirerack reviews that I have seen seem to confirm that.

I like the Yokohamas in particular the AVS dB but I have no snow in FL.

I have seen excellent reviews on the Goodyear tripple treads, with the only drawback being reduced fuel economy.

Good luck

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
AS

I bought the Bridgestone Tourenza LS-V for my 2003 SE about a year ago. Just under $150 each from Tire Rack at the time. I was a little apprehensive about sticking with Bridgestone after such poor performance with the stock tires, but the Tire Rack reviews on these tires were pretty good and they ended up performing much better than the Potenza's. I didn't get much of a chance to drive in the snow last year (Maryland DC area) but the wet & dry traction is fine for my normal to slightly aggressive driving style.

Reply to
John Smith

I second that...

I bought the Bridgestond turanza LS-V for my 2002 SE last October and have already put on about 15K miles on these new tires. Im pretty impressed with these tires, and cannot belive how the same company can make such drastically different tires

I live in MA, and last winter was comparetively mild, but did drive them in snow and was surprised on how much better these tires were compared to the OEM potenza's. Didnot slip or loose traction even once. The wet & dry tration is also good.

just my $0.02, BI

John Smith wrote:

Reply to
bhai

I have Turanza LS-T's. My second set. They went 50K for me. I don't know why you'd need a V rated tire. Doing much 145 mph driving???

Erich

snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

Reply to
Erich

Higher speed rated tires handle more heat, regardless of speed.

Reply to
Jenna Tulls

AS - I'm all for firmer side-walls :) .. on my GLE S-rated tires are recommended, however on the SE trim (firmer springs) V-rated tires are recommended... perhaps next time i'll get the V-rated tires and enjoy better cornering.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Hello,

I live in Norther WI, so I get plenty of snow and wet driving.

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Cooper Lifeliner Touring SLE yet. I put these on my 00 SE and have about 45000 miles on them, and I plan on going through this winter with them yet.

I really like these tires for the wet and snow handling. Most of the Maximas that I see around here seem to have these now. Word must get around.

I just looked at my receipt, and they were $140 each, and that was a couple years ago.

Good luck, Len

Reply to
Len Rauth

My bad - looking at the OP - they're on 50 profile tires. I don't think there is anything but a V rated tire for 50 profile 17's. Also - my Turanza's are LS-H (rated)... 65 profile.

Erich

Reply to
Erich

Nokian WR's. Best tires I've ever owned.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

188,000 miles

Reply to
Bill G