Various Things Aren't Working!

I have a '98 GLE with over 192K on the odo. So do the front struts, but that just makes it ride like a Buick. Anyway, about 3 months ago, after my vehicle had been idle for over two months, I lost the following functions: My automatic climate control doesn't come on when I start the car. My power antenna won't go up when the radio is on. My trip odometer resets every time I start the car. My headlight reminder chime no longer works. My visor mirror lamps are dead. And, most frustrating of all, my keyless entry is dead. I checked the battery--it's OK. I did not do anything to the car (no repairs, no changes, nothing). Anyone ever had this problem? Thanks! Todd

Reply to
Todd

This should be easy ;)... check all the fuses - you'll find at least one that has blown.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Oh ya - the fuse fix won't help with the struts ;)

Struts are relatively inexpensive.. your car will ride like new if you invest in some new suspension. Just my 2c. It's well worth it, especially if you intend to drive the car for a while. I replaced all my factory suspension at 90k (or so) - struts, strut bearings, strut boots and rear shocks. Last summer I did the end-links as well as inner and outer tie-rod ends. Probably sometime in 08 I'll do the suspension (struts and shocks) all around again - I should hit about

170k by then.

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 138k
Reply to
njmodi

Thanks for the suggestion--I was foolishly hoping someone might know exactly WHICH fuse it would be. In the meantime, I'll hunker down and check them all.

As for the struts, they are way, way shot (I'm almost positive they're the originals--I'm only the third owner). I just don't have the $ yet to replace them, along with the bushings, bearings, and boots, of course. I know that in this gen Maxima, they ditched the independent rear suspension for a solid rear axle & shocks--arrggh!--a travesty, in my opinion. They'll be replaced, too. And when I do, I'll be driving like I'm on the freakin' Nurburgring! ;-)

This discussi> njmodi wrote:

Reply to
Todd

Should be noted here:

Worn shocks/struts will have a negative effect on your stopping distances. Especially in panic-stop situations and braking whilst negotiating curves. Leave extra clearance between yourself and vehicle ahead of you. Try to avoid any situation that might require heavy braking and/or sudden changes to vehicle direction .

B. (I've always wanted to use 'whilst' in a sentence)

Reply to
bmaty

You know that you can actually do that, do you?

The hard bit is probably the German you need to read that page - and it's not really cheap to transfer a car over from the US and back. It's probably easier to get a used car over here and use that for the ride. :-)

Kind regards

robert

Reply to
Robert Klemme