Drive Train Problem, need advice

1994 Maxima

When driving down the road it will "quit" transfering the drive from the engine to the rear end. The RPM's race up. It does this only for a couple of seconds then resumes driving ok. It does not lose electrical power. The dealer did not get a bad code from their check out. Also it did not do the problem for them when they drove it. It does it frequently. Any ideas what the problem could be??

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
seal

My '92 SE does that as well, but it's pretty infrequent in my case. Usually it does it on the freeway after the car's been running for a while and the engine temp is at the typical operating level. I tend to think it's electrical, but beats the heck out of me if I really know what it is. Had a mechanic try to diagnose it, but he couldn't replicate the problem, and didn't find any problems with the computer, fuel system, cables, etc.

BTW, typically in a Max the power doesn't go to "rear" (at least not until the AWD Max shows up).

Reply to
nmore

It IS showing up in December. It is called the 2004 all-wheel-drive G35. But it knocks off a couple of mpg compared to the front-drive G35. Ugh.

JM

Reply to
JM