Err2 on CV919 CD Changer

Howdy.

I've got a CV919 six-disc CD changer in a 96 Maxima. I bought the changer from a Nissan dealer a couple years ago. Theoretically it's the same changer that would have come in the car when it was new if I'd ordered that option.

A few days ago I punched a button to change discs, and heard a clicking sound instead of the usual CD-swapping sound. After attempting to change about five times, the display read "Err2." Now I can't change, play or eject any of the CDs.

I found a couple websites for shops that will fix the changer... for more than I paid for it when it was new. Don't think I want to go there. But I've got $90 worth of CDs in the changer that I'd like to retrieve without damaging them.

Anybody have any experience with this problem, and/or have any tips for correcting the Err2? Or any tips for ejecting my six CDs, short of tearing the changer apart?

Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Thanks, ~SOD~

Reply to
SomeOldDude

Boy does that sound familiar. I just bought the second cv919 and after about 2 weeks, today, it's got the same problem. This time, I was smart, I copied the cd's and burned my own before inserting them. When the original one was acting up, I figured, how difficult can it be. Boy, was I in for a challenge. Immediately after opening it, I discovered that there's no way a human being is going to be able to get this back together. When you open it, and you will, there is a circuit board and a paper thin connector with hardly any slack, once you pull this off, you're done. If you're like me, once I got into that situation, I just got the bolt cutters and cut away the outer metal shell and cut away the brackets and was able to pull the CD's out without damaging it. As for the CD player, unless someone else has any ideas, it's pretty much toast.

I'm off to purchase a new third party cd player, enough of the changer. :)

Best of luck

John

Reply to
John Mathey

Not exactly what I wanted to hear, John, but thanks for your response.

I'll probably end up with a third-party CD player, too. The down side is, I really liked the way the CV919 was MADE to work with the existing radio. Punch the CD button, the radio goes off. Punch the radio button, the CD player goes off. All the other controls run from the radio. I doubt I'll find that with an aftermarket CD player.

I guess I'll end up replacing them both with a combo radio/CD player (think I'll stay away from the changers this time, though). I hope I kept the little plastic "pocket" that was in the CD changer's spot before I put installed it.

Good idea re: burning "disposable" copies of your CDs. I'll bear that in mind if I end up with another changer, after all.

Thanks, SOD

Reply to
SomeOldDude

My first suggestion is this:

Disconnect the battery for a while (only one terminal, not both), this should force some kind of reset on the changer and allow you to eject your cd changer cartridge. Be aware that this will reset all your stations you've saved in memory. If this doesn't work. With the ignition off, find the cable that goes to the changer, if it has a cable that plugs into it somewhere on the changer, remove it for a few seconds, then gently plug it back in (don't force it). You should hear some whirring/clicking, then try to eject the cartridge (assuming it has an eject button on the changer somewhere).

Second suggestion. If you plan to buy an new one, I'd recommend going with Crutchfield

they make some factory replacements that I've had very good luck with in both my current vehicle Maxima (2K SE w/Bose system) and my previous vehicle, a '95 Honda Accord w/cassette that had a factory connection and controls for a six disc CD changer which worked very well.

SomeOldDude wrote:

Reply to
Mike