FRONT HEADLAMPS

i was wondering what i should use to get off a cloudy film thats on the front of my headlamps yellowish in color.. Please let me know what i should use with out damaging them?

Reply to
DAZ805

...yello wish? What could that jell-o be?

Test with cleaners, solvents - first on small spot with 'a dipstick'. Typically most lamps are glass (is it?) and can take anythin (take care not to spill on paint).

Reply to
Wiikinki

Reply to
niven

Any plastic polish, PlastX (I think that's what it's called), works well.

Reply to
njmodi

Just to stir the subject:

Most plastic headlamp lenses are made out of Polycarbonate (PC such as Lexan and other commercial names).

PC is used because it is a tough material, does not break easily, and withstands high temperatures, but unfortunately, it is one of the worst materials to use outdoors because it is highly susceptible to UV radiation, even when loaded with UV stabilization additives. The UV radiation from the sun is what turns the clear lenses into yellowish light intensity hogs.

So why is it used? Weight, Cost and moldability to conform to weird designs. Besides, manufacturers do not mind the extra business of selling replacement lenses at outrageously high prices, do they?

As an after-thought: PC is derived from oil, while glass, for the old fashi> Any plastic polish, PlastX (I think that's what it's called), works > well.

Reply to
AS