front vibration 96 max

i own a 96 max gxe and their is a lot of front wheel play, exe when a hit a bump it could be a small one and the wheel jerks left or right, second at speeds of 35 to 40 mph the wheel will start to vibrate ans shake. i am thinking about going back to 15 inch wheels(have 18).i got new struts,oem struts and a wheel alianment and i still have the same problem. jr

Reply to
renegade

As for low speed vibration, have you checked your front tire pressures? That little item can cause alot of issues, especially at low speeds. Good luck. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

right,

Reply to
BeeP

Had a similar issue with a '97 I30 (same suspension as a Max). Problem turned out to be one of the upper strut mounts had broken from hitting a speed bump too hard. Your symptoms are also consistent with a bad ball joint or tie rod end. I have noticed lately that the alignment people tend to not check the ball joints unless you tell them to.

Reply to
E. Meyer

What should be an Ideal tire pressure for front and back?

Reply to
max

For stock tires, the proper tire pressures are printed on a label on inside lid of front seat console. Under-inflation causes problems, vibration, wobbling, etc., especially fronts. Guess you would want to experiment on the high side with aftermarkets, different wheels, etc. Bob

Reply to
BeeP

If you have aftermarket tires/rims, don't change the pressures much if you experiment. The pressure is dictated by the gross weight of the car - and by changing tires/wheels you haven't changed the vehicle weight.

I run my 97 SE at 33psi - it's the time of year to check them since the colder temperatures cause the tire pressures to drop a bit.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman