knock

I have a 2k maxima and the other day I backed it down the drive so I could work in the drive and then I drove it back up. Let it sit over night and the next afternoon I started it and it had a knock. I turned it of and on and the knock finally went away and has not been back. Any ideas?

Reply to
Boots Crofoot

Have you checked the oil level? ronm

Reply to
ronm

Are you using non-Nissan filters with lousy drain back valves in them? Or perhaps you just happened to get a filter with a poor valve in it.

I discovered that Toyota V-8 engines (early Lexus with 100K miles on it at the time) don't like to be started and run only for an instance and not have a chance for the oil to fully pressurize the engine before being turned off. Perhaps some of the same with the Nissan V-6.

r> Boots Crofoot wrote:

Reply to
Who's There?

Yeah, don't overANALyze it! The knock hasn't come back, has it?

Reply to
noyap

My 95 sometimes rattles a lot upon initial start, and then the oil starts to lubricate everything and the noise stops. I don't know, that has happened since I bought it and is one of those things I notice in exceptionally cold or very hot weather.

Presumably, the oil on a cold day can't get through the engine fast enough to lubricate everything and on a hot day, the oil has all gone to the sump and nothing is left to lubricate until the engine is running.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins