Long Turning Radius - 2003

This is my second Maxima. Love the acceleration and with Michelin tires good handling. But the long turning radius would keep me from getting a new one. Have they improved in 06 or 07?

Reply to
JS

I know they didn't in 06. I have the old 'give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around' kind of thing with my 2006 ;-) Actually it isn't bad unless you are un a tight parking lot. It IS a lot wider turning than my Supra was though

Reply to
No One

It isn't the car's fault. It's the tires & the lack of fender clearance.

When you put 16, 17, 18 inch tires on the car (as the trend is these days), the turn radius just goes up and up.

Back in '94 my I30t had 15 inch tires and turned great. It was one of the reasons that I bought the car.

Reply to
jmattis

Where did you get an I30t in '94? They didn't make them until '96.

Reply to
E Meyer

It's not the rims that determine the turning radius, but the torque of the motor. Pushing 255+ HP through the front whels in a turn stresses a CV joint like you won't beleive.

CD

Reply to
codifus

torque has nothing to do with it,,??????

Its strictly a function of the tire tire radius, on a fixed platform.

My 2000 SE has the same turning radius issue with 17 inch tires.

Reply to
common_ sense

So, I am not alone. I just got my 2000 SE, and am amazed at how large the turning radius is compared to my 90 GXE. I also have the 17" wheels. But... I am still trying to rationalize this in my mind. Why would the size of the wheel make a difference? And, the 17" tires are barely wider than the 16" ones. Something doesn't add up... Any other input?

-mike

Reply to
mike w

I don't believe the diameter of the tires are as impacting on turning radius as the gear box that translates steering wheel turn into actual wheel pivot. How much the wheels are allowed to pivot, the distance between the front wheels, and the car's wheelbase are the main factors.

The Nissan Maxima that I currently own requires a lot of thought in parking lots as it won't make sharp turns. Conversely, I have a SUV that will turn on a dime. I wish the Maxima was as nimble.

John in 61 degree Manchester, NH

Reply to
JS

Its not the width, its the diameter - they are larger in diameter, thus take longer to roll a certian distance.

Reply to
common_ sense

It is the diameter of the wheel/tire combination that is the limiting factor. The greater the wheel/tire diameter the sooner the tire fouls on the bodywork when you turn full lock.

On my 2003 there are mechanical limiters (bump stops) to prevent the wheel/tire turning to the extent they foul the bodywork. Without these limiters the wheel/tires could be turned further and would rub on the bodywork on the engine side. This probably comes about because the frame was originally designed for 15" or 16" wheels.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

It was a '96 I30t, the first year that they came out (and they were blocked from being imported for a short while by the Clinton Administration along with some other Jap cars).

Normally i wouldn't buy a first-year model, but they'd already been making the new maxima for a year.

Sorry for the confusion.

Reply to
jmattis