New key for 2000 Maxima

The black plastic loop on my Maxima key broke and to make up a new key with a new transponder chip runs about $85. If I had a cheap metal key made up to keep on my key ring, how close to the steering column does the original key/transponder have to be for the car to start? Can I keep the original key in the glove compartment or does it have to be closer? Thanks

Reply to
David Schwartz

This is a common problem, no need to worry.

I have done this for more customers than I can count.

first, cut off the old plastic loop part of the key that you used to secure it to your key ring. use a good pair of side cutters to do this.

next get a good quality drill bit and drill a small hole ( under 3/16 of an inch or below) a few millimeters below the top of the key in the center, it ain't pretty but it works. This will not disturb the chip in the key and render it useless.This will allow you to put the key on a key ring and not lose it.

Reply to
NissTech

Interesting idea. Maybe I'll try it. How far into the black plastic does the metal key insert? Would you say it ends short of, right behind, or past the Nissan logo?

And since you seem to know the car, how far away from the steering column can the chip be, should I decide to make a new metal key?

Dave

Reply to
David Schwartz

when you clip off the loop for the key ring you'll see where the metal body of the key starts.

The chip /key needs to be within an inch or so of the ignition lock cylinder, the IMMU unit ( the unit that reads the chip in the key ) encircles the ignition lock cylinder(what you put the key in), if it can't read it ,it won't start.

be advised if an unprogrammed key is used to start the car more that 3 times the vehicle will go into lock mode and will need to be towed to the dealer to remove it from said lock mode.

Reply to
NissTech