nissan maxima -93 weird noise from gearbox

I'm looking for mr. Frank from motorcaves.ca or anyone who might know... with his help we've managed to do a lot to my car but still missing something:

I've Nissan Maxima -93 (3.0) w/ manual transmission.

I bought it from Germany. Things went just fine until it started to keep noise like (grrrrr...) while clutch up and gear free (no gear switched). Keeping the car still and clutch disconnected (clutch down) no noise. The car gear free and clutch up keeps noise. Gear in (1-5-R) clutch up noise. And car rolling free (clutch up/connected) keeps noise. (From Sami Nikkinen: AFAIK Only when not rolling AND clutch down it's not keeping noise)

I (we)'ve replaced clutch plate and the bearing inside the clutch housing (in Finnish painelaakeri), but not no bearings inside transmission box (gear box).

The pitch of the sound changed a bit (towards lower), however it's still something like grr...or prrrr...

There were some punches in old clutch plate springs as well (1/4 cut or

1/3 cut, but like hitting someting, or could it be from the thing that keeps clutch plate stable with plate (flat) springs. (yes, paineasetilma, in Finnish)? [Couldn't figure out how it could be the blame!]

Should I open gear box and change the bearing (drive-power infeed-axle-bearing(s?) from clutch)? How many bearings should I change? (yes, all of them, but I would not like to blow it into atoms and try to figure out how to put it together :)

Cheers

Kari & Sami

Reply to
Kari Erfving

Could be main shaft bearings. When clutch is out, out of gear, the main shaft still spins. Is there excessive drivetrain wind-up/lash when accelerating/deccelerating? Play or worn/broken bearing race can cause main shaft to have "slop" (end play in bearing) and cause noise. Just some thoughts.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H.

Chris H. kirjoitti:

And with main shaft you mean the axle incomming from clutch or the other one? [there's two other ones, is main shaft the next one?]

Well, yes, while accelerating or declerating with "motor brake" noise is noticebly louder.

Shit, broken? The oil [transmission] was ok at the first look.... I suppose it [broken bearing] has already scratched the "container", the aluminium gear box housing.... or could it have done so?

Reply to
Kari Erfving

You need to take it out and open it up, or take it to a good rebuilder. Should cost around US$500-$700 to rebuild on the bench, depending on parts replaced.

Reply to
ChrisH.

That's after it's on the bench. The labor of the pull/install can also reach $500.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman