Not sure if its alt/starter/battery

When i insert my key into the ignition. and try and turn the car on. I get a single click noise. I replaced the battery and sed a wired brush to get some of the corrosion off and put the new one battery in. I tried it again, "Click" is all i get. I'm not sure what the problemis but im hoping someone on here may happen to know or could give me some advice. I blame it on my wife lol she was the last to drive it she got home and 30 minutes when i got in to go to the PX "Click" is all i get.

Reply to
desperado78

John Smith

I was told my my father in law, that i should have my wife try and start it and att he same time tap the starter with a happer and see if it starts. My father in law was a mechanic, do you guys think this is a good idea?

Reply to
desperado78

Reply to
John Smith

good point, thanks for the help

Reply to
desperado78

is there anyway i could test to see if it was the altinater? Im just hopeing its one or the other and not both.

Reply to
desperado78

If you turn your headlights on, are they bright? If you try to start the car with them on, do they stay bright? If no to one or both of these, it's probably a battery or connection problem. If yes to both, it's probably the starter.

-jim

Reply to
JimV

I already replaced the battery yesterday so that should be good. I cleaned the connecters with a wire brush. Lights don't dim and everything inside works fine including the radio. If i turn the radio on and turn it loud. Nothing dims clusters work fine and i still get readings

Reply to
desperado78

I Have aftermarket speakers so i figured it would draw more power then factory system.

I recently tried jumping the car with my friends truck. Nothin happened.

Reply to
desperado78