belt tension ? when i start the car i get a loud squeak for 1 second

.. is this the alternator belt being too loose ? i have a fairly new batter in my 95 maxipad --- in fact its an overrated one ... .. maybe the alter nator shit the bed ? or the belt sucks or there is not enough tension on that belt , the idler adjuster tension could be insufficient.

Reply to
ERIC

They need to be tigher than you think they should be. I'd tighten it more (but without being able to see/feel it, this may be bad advice).

Reply to
JimV

That's frequently the first sign that your starter bendix is going bad. It will continue to get worse, expecially as the weather gets colder. Probably the starter will never actually quit, but the bendix might hang up and cause a non-start situation. At that point, peple have been known to dislodge the stuck bendix by tapping the starter with a hammer. Not too hard or something will break.

This noise went on for years with me, until I finally just replaced the starter when it got real bad. It is also possible to disassemble it and replace the grease. Old grease is the problem. It is a known issue with this car.

Reply to
jmattis