Re: Intermitent Lack of Power on Initial Acceleration

all six at once because once one went the others were sure to follow....a

>wise choice or not?

A good choice under warranty. Who was paying for the repair ?

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

sammy

Ouch! I don't believe the others are "sure to follow". Sounds like the dealer took the easy and expensive way out to me. :-/

Reply to
Dan

I haven't had it done, but its been discussed here before. IIRC, it is not easy (possiblee?) to diagnose which coil is bad. Therefore they can replace, say 2 coils, and wait a month. If the Check Engine Light goes on again, you move the coils and try again. It's a pain to do this through a shop, but works for the DIYers. The shop answer is replace them all, figuring most of them will fail anyway before the life of the car, but that is a huge sum of money.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

It is possible to test the Maxima coils. There's a procedure in the manual. Whether or not it will find an intermittent coil, I can't say. But, I would think that one that was throwing a check engine code would probably be bad enough to detect.

At $75/coil, the dealer is screwing you by just replacing them all.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob