Re: puddle of brake fluid ?

The master cylinder is on the left firewall so it is unlikely to leak all the way over on the right side. If you think it is brake fluid, look for cracked rubber hoses or steel lines going to the caliper and for leaks from the caliper area.

Hi all, > Today, as I parked my 92 maxima GXE (automatic), I noticed that it was > leaking some fluid near the front passenger tyre. It seems like brake > fluid. Within few minutes there was a big puddle. I checked my oil > level and it is not oil. This makes me suspect it is brake fluid. > Could it be my master brake cylinder. > > Any tips or suggestions would be helpful. > > Thanks !
Reply to
Harry Balls

Could also be coming from the ABS actuator, which is on the passenger side on the inner fender. I had one that leaked severely in my 89, same generation car as yours.

  1. Do you have ABS brakes? 2. Was the car running? Had you just applied the brakes? Carefully examine the actuator -- the thing with all the brake lines and wire harness connections going to it. Mine did not leak from the piping connections, but from a hole on the side of the unit that was apparently an assembly hole that is plugged as part of the manufacturing process. "No user repairable parts inside." Unit new costs more than the car is worth probably. I got a used replacement from a parts yard. Easy swap by my local mechanic. Let us know. Good luck. Bob
95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded.

brake

Reply to
BeeP

Harry, all, Thanks much for your response. I opened the hood again. The brake reservoir is full !! but the other reservoir is empty. The brake reservoir is located near the drivers side. The other one is on the passenger side. I assume it is the power steering reservoir. So can this be a power steering leak? I've never had this problem before. Can such a leak develop suddenly and if so any possible causes. I didnt hit any bumps while driving. Can I fix this myself or is it safe to drive to the mechanic with this problem.

The leak (drops of fluid) is very close to the front passenger tire. The fluid is slightly viscous and yellowish. Seems like oil but my oil level is still at max.

Thanks again for any further tips.

Sincerely, Rusa

Reply to
Rusa

PS fluid is usually red or brown maybe. Thick and yellow sounds like brake fluid. Get the car on some jack stands and start checking closely. If you're not sure, have someone qualified check it. You really don't want to lose your brakes. I wouldn;t drive it until you find the source.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Check the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir. If it's low and there's fluid on the underside of the brake booster, you have a leaking master cyl. My 90 leaked about 2 years ago. I replaced w/ a new unit purchased at AutoZone. Fairly easy to replace and inexpensive. Plenty of working room. If it's leaking as fast as you say, you need to change it immediately, or you'll be without brakes after a few pumps of the pedal.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's

Reply to
Chris H

Did you use you A/C today? If the 'brake fluid' is really clear and has no odor, it could be condensation from you A/C system.

Reply to
Monte

But a leak does not mean a loss of all fluid. You might hear some noise, but a minor leak will not change the steering feel much.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Hi all, Update on the problem : I took it to a mechanic. He diagnosed it as follows. He topped off the empty power steering reservoir, started the car; when he turned the steering wheel, we observed the ps fluid oozing out at the top of the hose line where it connects to the other parts. He said the hose had gone bad and couldnt hold the pressure. Changed out the hose for 135 bucks. Everything ok now. He had to raise the car in order to replace the hose. Not sure if this could be a DIY kind of job.

Thanks for all your posts.

Rusa

92 Nissan GXE owner
Reply to
Rusa

Well, for $135 I'd sure MAKE it a DIY job! ;-)

John D.

Reply to
John D.

Better be real good at DIY - that's a hard little booger to get to with the car on the ground.

Reply to
ronaldreagan