ABS light on 2001 max

my ABS light came on, is this something I"ll have to bring to nissan for? the local nissan dealer is an asshole (charged me for the ECM update and had to argue with them and nissans front office to get a refund) can my mechanic service this? any idea what the problem might be. this is a 2001 maxima SE. starting to snow around here in Rhode island and I don't want to be without ABS

-Slick Nick

Reply to
habibe99

Check out

FAQs. You can reset it, but it might come back on.

Reply to
JimV

Reply to
John Smith

thanks for the help, I noticed today (first snow fall) that my ABS isn't working, (is that because the light is on?) when the light comes on does it automatically deactivate ABS? if so does that indicate a hardware problem. I find it unusual because I only have 25,000 miles on it. I take it this wouldn't be covered under warranty, right (it's a 2001 so the 3 years part fo the 36k warranty is expired)

-Slick Nick

Reply to
habibe99

When the ABS light is on, it means the ABS is not working.

Reply to
E. Meyer

My ABS light just came on the other day! I was told that it could come on because of worn out front brake pads but i beg to differ. I have made an appointment with nissan tomorrow morning so i will try to post what they tell me. hopefully it should be covered under the warranty. I have 63K on my 01 max!

Reply to
mandymax

well, my 2001 max just had the same problem... my mechanic told me it's most likely a speed sensor (the front left spacifically), if this is the same problem with yours, I DOUBT it's under warranty. from my experiance with nissan, they will try and get you to pay for ANYTHIng. (I went in a few months back to havea problem fixed that WAS under warranty, and they still tried to charge me 200 bucks....) good luck, let me know how ya make out as I am still having the same problem

-Slick Nick

Reply to
habibe99