Service Engine Light - 97 Maxima

1997 Maxima SE 124,000 miles on it I do practically all the regular maintenance (tire changes, brakes, new alternator, new ignition switch, new CV joints, radiator flush, transmission flush, etc.) and oil changes almost religiously although I have not taken my car to the dealer for any of the "servicing" at the suggested mileage intervals. The car has been a rock star for me and runs very smoothly.

Saturday the car gave me problems starting. The car battery was just at 60 months old so I got a new batter installed. Sunday morning I start the car and the Service Engine Soon light came on. Will be getting the car checked out by a mechanic I trust tomorrow...but should I be worried? is this the beginning of the end of my "rock star"? to early to say? Crossing my fingers and hoping it is just an electrical glitch of some sort.

-diro

Reply to
diro

== I would clear the codes and drive it. Then if you get them again I would start checking things.

Reply to
KybonaWhogonna

First read the code before clearing it. If 'problems starting' means that it sometimes refuses to crank, then I'm guessing the code will be either Camshaft Position Sensor or Crankshaft Position Sensor. If so, don't waste any more time on it, just buy a new sensor (from an affordable source like

and install it.

Another popular reason for the issue are engine coolant temperature sensor. This will allow the car to crank but not actually start. Putting your foot down on the gas until it starts can help in this situation, since opening the throttle during cranking actually stops the injection of fuel.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

WOW - Dave you were right on. The mechanic called me yesterday and said it was the Crank Shaft Sensor. He also discovered the Oil Sending Unit had been leaking so that was replaced. I had him replace two worn down belts as well. All in all, I'm out less than $300 and I'll pay that to keep a car running that's been paid off years ago.

Reply to
diro

= Is that the first time the sensors had to be replaced? Also the belts? any other major work you had done in the 127K I have a 98se with a lot less miles but wonder how well it will hole up. Thank's for any advice.

Reply to
KybonaWhogonna

I have a '97 with 168K that still has the original everything except battery, brakes, and half the exhaust.

Reply to
JimV

I had to recently get an inspection sticker but could not here in RI due to the SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT being on. It was the KNOCK SENSOR and now all is well. I have a 1997 Maxima GLE and it now has 214,768 miles on it and runs great. Everything still works like when I got it and I must say the only repairs I have ever done were brakes and two shocks that leaked and nothing else. The newer cars of today will run very long with little problems as long as you maintain them. I do an oil change every 4,000 miles with Mobil 1 and this baby does not leak or burn a drop of oil and this is here in the Northeast. Nissan and the Japan auto makers know how to build cars. I am getting a 2007 3.5SE soon. THEY ARE AWESOME. Just figured I'd let ya know u got plenty of miles to go with your MAXIMAs..

Reply to
Brian Peixinho

It couldn't have been just the knock sensor. The knock sensor does not light the SERVICE ENGINE light. When the light comes on, there can be multiple codes stored in the computer. It sounds like whoever looked at it just addressed the first number that popped up and stopped looking. If all they did was replace the knock sensor and reset the light, the real problem will recur soon and the light is going to come back on.

Reply to
E Meyer

Sensors, yes - first time replaced. I believe I may have changed a belt or two along the way. I tend to be conservative when it comes to replacing belts. As far as major work is concerned, here is what I've done on the car. I purchased the car used in 2000 and it had about

42,000 miles on it at the time.

Complete brake job - circa 2001 Replaced CV joints - January 2007 Replaced starter, ignition switch, electrical relay switch - May 2006 Regular maintenance: Oil changes, new tires/balancing, flush radiator coolant, flush/change transmission fluid, new battery (2001, 2007).

The car has never been in a wreck and since it is paid off, my goal is to make it to 250,000 miles. Just checked my mileage and I've only put

11,000 miles on it in the last year (drive my fiance's car on road trips).
Reply to
diro

I also replaced 1/2 of the exhaust system last year.

Reply to
diro