2002 Maxima Service Engine soon

Yesterday I got "service engine soon" indication on my 2002 Maxima. I just drove 1000 miles since last oil change. I got it checked at the dealership and was told to get Soleniods replaces at a cost of $486 !

My question is is it normal to get this kind of problems in a car that has just run 43000 miles. This is alarming since I intend to keep the car longer. I thought sensor failure should have longer warranty. Does anyone know if Nissan should cover this failure or any recalls on solenoids ?

Reply to
Lakhbir

As ECU detects certain sequences from sensors, it sets the light. It may be cleared, DIY, Autozone etc. If the condition setting the ECU -flag repeats, there may be smtg wrong, and possibly smtg should be done.

The word "solenoids" may point to various issues. If Nissan cannot be more specific, never again enter that shop. Ask em.

Warranty is as long as warranty is. Its made known for the buyer, he pays for that, gets possibly that, not any longer. Seems fair to me, I should say. Quite often owner doesnt feel that way however...

Any car may be broken already on the factory floor, the more miles/years it collects the more sure it is that problems arise.

Nissan wants to rip your wallet year around, rest assured.

Btw, read/search this forum articles and youll find links like this : one code & eye openin device, might be worth its weight in gold for ya, if it works as explained

Wiikinki

If the '02 Maxima is anything like my '02 Pathfinder (should be - its a variation of the same engine), it could be just a glitch. I have had the light come on once for swirl control valve solenoid and once for something else. In both cases, simply resetting the light solved the problem. It hasn't come back on in over a year.

I would try that first before spending piles of money on it. If the valve really is bad, the light will come back on in a couple of days (or weeks).

Reply to
E Meyer

Last time, I stopped by Wal-Mart, I saw there was an OBD code reader for less than $100, which is close to what dealer asks for reading once. Buy a reader, you probably will use it quite a few times, not only on this car. Then you know what's going on and probably decide to replace parts by yourself.

Reply to
Juping Jin

you need to be a little more specific , do you have a P code number or can you provide and other information noted on the Repair order

Reply to
NissTech

You don't need a code reader on Nissans. You can read the hard codes from the ECM and then interpret them on the web...

Reply to
JW

Coils problem with Nissan Maxima? Go to

Reply to