1990 NISSAN MAXIMA SE (5-speed) Rear drums to Disc conversion?

This question is for anyone who has done this or any drum to disc conversion or any nissan tech. I have a 1990 maxima se its a 3rd generation. I know some 3rd gens have rear discs i have seen it and i want to know how to go about converting my rear drums. I thank you for your help in advance.

Reply to
SUPERBLACK90SE

What are you expecting it to do or is it just for looks? The rear brakes on those cars does very little and can't see it helping performance at all or enough to be worth the expence/trouble.

Reply to
Steve

That is an excellent safety upgrade that has been done successfully many times. You will need the spindles off a disc brake car along with all the rear brake parts to do the swap. If you need more info (which I'm sure you do) Visit the forums at

for the third gen.lots of people there have done it before.You can donate ($20) and use the search feature or just start a new threadand have people bitch that they've already covered the topic before.

Reply to
Brian

Don't quite understand the question. My 89 3rd Gen SE had discs all around. Are you trying to make another model into an SE ? Are you sure you have the SE? You might want to check the 3rd Gen forums to see what equipment is on what trim level, GLE, GXE, SE. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

conversion or any nissan tech. I have a 1990 maxima se its a 3rd generation. I know some 3rd gens have rear discs i have seen it and i want to know how to go about converting my rear drums. I thank you for your help in advance.

Reply to
BeeP

The GXE had drum brakes until 1995.

Reply to
Dan

I have a 93 GXE with disks all round, I believe your changeover date must be incorrect.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

Sure you don't have a GLE vice GXE? I know '93 GXE's had drum brakes, in fact, 'google' and you'll find people who were having problems with them.

Reply to
Dan

Everyone seems to have different information about the trims. However I've met many other people with SE's who didnt have discs in the rear and i've only seen a small percentage of those who do and they're mostly in the later years of the

3rd generation. Anyway thanks for the help.
Reply to
SUPERBLACK90SE

Try this site for features comparison --

- bear in mind that some SE features were available as options onother models - rear spoiler, moonroof, alloy wheels, etc. And thiscauses confusion for owners thinking they might have an SE model.Without the rear discs, I have to question if you actually have an SE.Also, there is a key in the second row of characters on the vehiclespec plate (on firewall passenger side) that positively identifies thetrim line of your car - keying info I believe is in a factory shopmanual, and was once on the Web, but I cannot lay my hands on it. Willpost if it turns up.Try these sites too -
luck. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded