Strutting my stuff

Well, the job is finally done. My 2000 Max, with 100K on the odometer, is once again handling like a slot car after I installed a set of Tokico shock and struts.

In retrospect, the job was fairly simple but not without problems. It turns out that I was guilty of overkill by ordering new strut mounts prior to disassembly. The old ones turned out to be fine. The new ones were from KYB and I didn't notice that they were not as thick where the threaded part of the strut shaft goes. Consequently, when I got everything back together I couldn't fully tighten the nut that fits on the end of the shaft and holds the whole shebang together. I ended up ruining one of the struts when I tried to tighten the nut while grabbing the threaded part of the shaft with a pair of vice grips after (wrapping the threads with tape. Note to group -- please don't flame me for this ham-fisted moment of poor judgment, I've suffered enough already.

The supplier I bought the parts from doesn't want to give me a refund on the strut mounts (I've decided to eat the strut because I screwed it up plain and simple) because I had installed them and should have noticed that they were the wrong parts. I kinda see their point. However, they should have provided me with the correct part in the first place. So I'm torn about disputing the charge for the mounts on my credit card. What would you do?

Gerry

Reply to
feynmanfan88

Did you replace the boot too? I need 4 new boots. Dealer sales front $24/pair, rear( new improved part) $40/pair. They are crazy! I only pay $210 for 4 KYB-GR2. I'm not going to pay $70 for the boots. So far nobody makes the replacement....... The only thing I found $4 each @ jcwhitney.

Reply to
ironbird

Yep, the boots were history and I did replace. I bent over and bought them from the dealer. The was quoted similar prices, but EACH, not for a pair. Looks like I should have shopped around! You also seem to have gotten a great price for the GR2's. Please post where you bought them for the referrence of others in the group. I hate dealing with dealers ! ! ! But at least my Max is back on the road and the ride is as good as new . . .

Gerry

ir> Did you replace the boot too? I need 4 new boots. Dealer sales front

Reply to
feynmanfan88

They are right, given the ZILLIONS of varations, it's up to the installer to check this, especially if it's fairly obvious they aren't the same. My guess is this =IS= the part KYB listed for the mount and it also might work fine with KYB inserts but not with the tokicos? Mixing parts between different companies like this doesn't always work out.

Reply to
Steve T