Synthetic Oil and Synthetic Gear Oil Recommendations

Hi,

I have an '02 Maxima SE that recently had a new engine put in to replace a bearing problem in the original (thank goodness for extended warranties!). I have about 78K miles on the car and would like to convert both the engine and transmission oils to synthetics. I've read through many of the older posts about whether synthetic is really worth it or not and don't want to get into that again, but would like to hear some recommendations on which products are suited to this car. Primarily, I'm concerned with the automatic transmission oil as some of the past posts were a bit confusing to me. Also, is there something special I would need to do in order to switch over to synthetics? Should I wait a bit for the engine to break in again before going to synthetic? Are special oil filters required?

Reply to
Abyss

I changed both of my 2000 Maximas to Mobil 1 at about 50,000 miles. I probably should have done it earlier. Mine has 112,000 miles and still runs strong. My wifes car has about 78,000 and still purrs like a kitten.

The only thing that I do differently is that I don't change the oil until about 7-8000 miles on the oil. They never use a drop and I get better mileage with the synthetic oil.

Reply to
Chuckindallas

...the engine and transmission oils to synthetics... Nowadays typically any oil keeps engine runnin15yrs, nobody can claim any mileage based on oil as oil represents under 0.5% friction forces - in engine. The difference in mpg could be around (?) 0.01%. Now compare this to common tank full/odometer up to 10% error margin... Any engine with any lube is broken -if- channel(s) blocked ...by debris: better check into filter before installation. My opel lifters were destroyed: oilchannel to the head was blocked by an odd piece of plastics... was it installed by moroccon al qaeda at s.p.a.opel -factory, or result from french filter mfg strike, dunno.

- full synthetic in engine, yes. Driving conditions dictate how often to swap ... stress more = change more often. One, fit all answer =bs.

- A/T dino oil manufacturers warranty is 20-30k miles, 1½yrs. Full synthetics promise more, and should be better, but who can afford the price gouging? Change all, not just A/T reservoir (yes there is one!), see

some engines havin hydraulic liftersrequire specific filter backpressure to keep clic away, thus I use only NissanFilter (the 'only' Nissan product here w/o gouging)

Reply to
Wiikinki

[...]

-- Wiikinki

------------ View this thread: