93 GXE won't start when it's raining

Hi,

93 GXE, auto, 175k. The car was garaged for years but due DIY construction now sits outdoors.

After a shower of rain, nothing heavy, it fails to start. Engine spins but will not fire. Once the rain has stopped, if I open the hood and leave it for a while, it will start. I am asuming that the electrics get wet and openning the hood allows water to evaporate, solving the problem.

Related info: While it was still garaged, I know that if I open the hood and hose down the engine compartment it usually will not start, and I can make it start by drying it out with my leaf blower.

I don't expect the car to sart after being hosed in the engine compartment but I do want it to start after a shower of rain. Suggestions for a cure please.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

Should have added that problem only occurs when car is cold. When it is hot there is no problem. Presumably any water is evaporated off by the heat.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

Dry Solution: Do Not use water inside computer rooms, keep in garage, use only on sunny weather...

MakeDo Solutions

- One yr old distributor caps do pop by themselves. These cracks suck moisture from air, conduct fireworks. Solution: Spray lacquer or replace. When buying, the first three 'new' caps you get, may already be cracked.

- Make do real wires... See

Disconnected distributor gnd 'clip'doesnt help... see page10

Reply to
Wiikinki