Timing belt failures?

I would like to hear from anyone who has had a T belt fail in service.

Reply to
Dave Kind

Dave Kind

What do you mean "in service"? How else would they fail?

Reply to
E. Meyer

What I am trying to find is "T belt failures that happen with low mileage but many years in service. Example 40K miles and 15 years. dk

Reply to
Dave Kind

I had a t-belt snap on a '79 VW Rabbit Diesel at 11 years and 110,000 miles. It could have been caused by either the age or the mileage, so it halfway fits your criteria.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Then I feel the belt gave the design service and more. dk

Reply to
Dave Kind

I had one faill on a 93 Camry. The belt failed with 70K miles. It was 5 years old. There was no damage to the engine. The car just stopped running. I was glad that I was not trying to make it across a rail road crossing.

We replaced the first belt at 60K. The mechanic who replaced the second belt told me that he had never seen one so badly worn. He told me that it looked like the oringal belt.

Less> I would like to hear from anyone who has had a T belt fail in service. >

Reply to
John Smith