work to be done on car w/203k miles

I had my car checked at a dealership and they said I need a new knock sensor, EGR gasket and pipe and it would cost about $1138.84 for the work, also front and rear brakes, calipers and rotors for $1234 and to replace struts both front and rear for $1518. I don't know much about cars, is this worth doing? The body is in great shape and I have never had any major work done on the car...and how do the prices sound...any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
jk5

=== Sounds about right for the cost. You must really like that Auto to spend that kind of money on it. Myself I would not have gone down that path.

Reply to
KybonaWhogonna

Thanks for getting back to me...I have not had the work done yet...but as of this point in time a new car is out of the question...just wanted to know if the costs were in line...

Kyb>>I had my car checked at a dealership and they said I need a new knock >>sensor,

Reply to
jk5 via CarKB.com

All the prices might be "normal" dealer prices, but you can do much much better at an indepedent mechanic. Note, the numbers below are on the high-side... but still way better than what you have been quoted.

Knock Sensor, EGR gasket and pipe - 1138

- way too much Parts: 200 Labor: 300 Total: 500

Find an independent shop to do the work.

Front/Rear Brakes, Calipers, Rotors and Pads - 1234

- way too much

Again - find an independent shop. Parts Cost (OEM or other good quality estimates provided): Reman Calipers: 300 for all four Rotors: 60*4 = 240 for all 4 corners Pads: 60*2 = 120 for front and rear Labor: 200 Total: 860 (you can probably do much better).

Struts/Shocks all 4 corners - 1518

- way too much

You can buy a set of replacement struts/shocks for 300-400 dollars and have them installed at any independent shop for another 300-400 dollars.

The problems you mention are nothing major - and easy repairs. Where are you located? However, you DO NOT need to spend the kind of money you have been quoted to have those repairs performed.

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 144k
Reply to
njmodi