106 Diesel Injection Pump Solenoid

Hi,I am currently trying to replace the TUD3 diesel engine in a 1993 Peugeot 106 with a post-`98 TUD5 engine (to hopefully avoid the engine liner problems which ruined the TUD3!)The TUD3 has a Lucas injection pump, and the replacement a Bosch pump. Very little information is given in the Haynes manual about the Bosch type pump. The Lucas pump has a simple and obvious diesel stop solenoid with a single connection. The bosch pump has a wire disappearing inside the pump with three connections.I need to know if I can just connect the original solenoid connection to one of these wires, and if so which one. Given the phrase "anti-start" in the Haynes manual wiring diagram on post-`97 models I`m concerned that the injection pump might have some sort of internal electronic immobiliser which the car itself has no parts to operate. If so, any way I can overcome this problem?Any thoughts would be much appreciated,Yours,Jon snipped-for-privacy@cam.ac.uk

Reply to
Jonny Symonds

I have now solved this problem, and am posting the solution for posterity. This is given here on the grounds that the information is intended for legitimate use such as putting a newer engine in and old car as I am attempting.

It seems that the injection pump does need a signal from an immobiliser. However, it is possible to remove the electronics from the pump, and underneath is an ordinary solenoid which can be actuated directly as before.

You need to remove the metal cover under which the control wires disappear on the top / end of the pump furthest from the cambelt. You firstly need to remove the plate which mounts the back of the pump to the engine and supports the fast idle cable sleeve. The immobliser cover is slotted into this plate. Remove the mounting bolt from the engine and the two allen screws and one torx screw which hold the plate to the pump. There is however one fixing which cannot simply be removed. There are two of these fixings which have perfectly round heads and seem undoable. These heads are partly shielded by the immobiliser cover which we are ultimately trying to remove. So angle-grind the cover away from these fixings. The uppermost one (which was completely surrounded by part of the cover) can have its head cut off - it only holds the immobiliser cover on. The lower one (with the hook-like surround from the cover) must be undone as it may well hold part of the pump together, and must be replaced. It can be undone with a hammer and chisel. You can now pull the mounting plate clear (you do not need to remove the fast idle cable).

There are two ordinary allen screws which can be removed from the immobiliser cover or be cut off. Now for the tricky part. If you look on the side of the cover facing the engine you'll see a raised part with a hole in it. Sprung into this hole is a slotted hollow tube. This pipe (deliberately) prevents the cover being removed as it catches on an adjustment screw on the main pump. Try and pull the tube out, but I failed to manage this as there is nothing to get hold of. I removed it by angle grinding along the top of the cover along the length of the tube (it is about 2 cm long) and prised it out that way, after closing the tube up with a chisel to release the tension.

The the cover should slide off in the direction away from the cam belt. There is just one wire which leads to the solenoid underneath.

It took me 4 hours in the end (and this was with the engine out). Congrats to Bosch for making a pretty damn tamper proof system!

Thanks to Bosch and a friend at Peugeot for the tip-off that there was a solenoid under that cover. The method of removal is my own work!

I am also pleased to say that the 1.5 engine seems to fit well in the old car.

Jon Symonds

Reply to
Jonny Symonds

CAN YOU JUST CUT THE COVER WITHOUT UNDOING THE BOLTS AND THEN NOT REPLACE THE COVER? MY ENGINE IS STILL IN THE CAR..HOPE YOU CAN HELP.....PEP

Reply to
pep