*HELP* 2001 PT Cruiser Windshield Sprayer Not Working

I hope someone can help me. I have a 2001 PT Cruiser LE that the front windshield sprayer isn't working. It was working fine up until 2 weeks ago. My washer reservoir had ran empty and I refilled it with blue fluid from Walmart. At that time, both the front and the back washers worked ok after I refilled the reservoir. But I just noticed a couple of days ago that the front one doesn't work at all now, only the back one. I looked under the hood and took the hose off where it connects under the hood to check and see if the sprayer itself was clogged and I couldn't get anything to come out of the hose at all when I tried it. Any ideas??

Tommy

Reply to
Tommy

How cold is it where you are at? Did you use full strength "blue stuff" before you added the new stuff? It could have possibly froze in the hose and the new stuff can't get thru. If all you did was add new fluid and nothing else, I would suspect this. The earlier stuff may have been from Fall and not been full strength. GOOD LUCK

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr

The washer pump motor runs in one direction for the front sprayers, and reverse for the rear window. Check to see that the pump motor is running at all for the front sprayers. There may be a loose connection in the wiring or a connector. Obviously the motor does run, so it is a matter of connections, maybe even the switch.

Reply to
indago

you may still even be under the 3 year/36,000 mile warrantee

ask DCM (the dealer)

Howard

I live in Mississippi, so it stays above freezing most of the time. How do I check to see if the motor for the front is running? When I hit the switch I can hear something (the motor I guess) like it's trying to spray, just no spray comes out.

Reply to
Tommy

This may sound crazy, and I'm not trying to be a wisenheimer, but have you filled the reservoir?

I has been known for some owners to go for years without having to fill it up (because the service dept. does it) and then are shocked that it isn't a "continuous fill" item, drawing fluid from who-knows-where.

It could be that the reservoir is cracked too and it all leaks out before you have time to push the button!

Dan

Reply to
dgates-at-keller - no - space - engineering - dot - com

read the original post again dan, the rear works so its not leaking out...

its a clog in a line somewhere, I would disconnect the line near the motor and try again.

Reply to
Punch

Forgive me for ignorance, but can any of you describe where the motor is exactly?

Reply to
Tommy

It is noted, in the service manual, that the washer reservoir is at the right cowl, and the pump motor is attached to the reservoir. It is noted that the windshield wipers should be at the uppermost position before working on the washer system. Turn the ignition key to accessory position and turn on the wiper system. When the wipers are vertical, turn the ignition switch to OFF. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Remove the right cowl cover. Remove the rear engine compartment seal at the cowl. From there you will find the retainers for the washer system. You can go from there.

Reply to
indago

On one car that I owned it used a small backflow valve in-line in the tubing. It sometimes clogged or just plain failed and had to be replaced.

washers

couple

Reply to
Art Begun

Don't know the PT but most vehicles have a separate reservoir for front and back.

Dan

Reply to
dgates-at-keller - no - space - engineering - dot - com

the PT uses the same reservoir...

the pump is part of the reservoir, and works in reverse when the rear wash is selected.

Punch

Reply to
Punch