[106] Zest 2 or Rallye S2?

Hi

The girlfriend has pranged her car (not her fault) but the garage doing the repair assessment and her insurers have a problem. It is insured as a standard Zest 2 but the garage say its either not a Zest 2 or has been modified, bodykit, wheels etc.

Having done a fair amount of web searching this evening we find that it has the body of a Rallye S2 with 106 GTI (or similar) wheels. The V5 registration document lists it as a Peugeot 106 XN Zest 2 and the dashboard logo states Zest 2 however to look at, it is a Rallye S2 (white) complete with sporty type gear shift and coloured instrument panels.

Before we go back to the insurers on Monday we really need to know exactly what she has been driving for the last two years so is there any way of telling from the VIN number, for example, what it is, or if there was a body kit done to convert the Zest 2 into a Rallye lookalike.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Ian

Reply to
IF

the alloys have been added after

Reply to
Mindwipe

That'll be a rallye lookalike then. Someones put the bodykit on it at some point.

Reply to
Dave

Many thanks for your replies. Since I posted I came across this site

and having browsed their pages find that the carhas indeed been kitted out to look like an S2. The give away is the 1100engine as opposed to the 1600 in the S2. Now we have to convince the insurers it was not her doing.

Again, thanks.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
IF

Good luck with that, but in my experience insurance companies are evil, scum-sucking devil spawn, and will avoid paying out for any reason they can find. I feel sure that they will say that it doesn't matter whether you made the mods or not; that the onus is on you to know/check whether the car is modified or not, and to declare any mods. As I say, good luck, but prepare yourself.

A secondary point is that in almost all cases, the insurance industry will profit from any claim you make by inflating your premiums over the next few years. I'd check to see whether it's actually worth getting them to pay for the repairs at all.

All the best, Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Yep, sounds familiar! When my wife pranged my car, the insurance company said that my car was worth less than I stated as it is a convertible and it was winter(!!) so the market value is lower in winter!!!!

Yep! Even if someone hits you and it's 100% their fault, your insurance premiums will go up next time to recover the admin costs in dealing with the third party - Something I've never considered fair - what's the point of being insured?

Matt

Reply to
Matt

--------------------snip--------------------

To make money for the Insurance Companies??????

Regards, John

Reply to
John J. Burness

Heh. Ouch. Sounds like insurance-weasel thinking though :)

The only situations I can see in which the insurance industry loses out when you make a claim are;

1) if, after a claim, you stop driving, thus preventing them from reclaiming thier money. 2) You seriously injure someone and they make a large (£10k+) claim for damages.

People are charged a premium becuase they are supposedly a 'risk' and thus likely to cost the insurance company money by claiming, but if the company will make it's mnoney back after the event of a claim, then the original risk is actually zero. An evil little scam, I reckon.

Reply to
Andrew Kirby