106 problems

[Peugeot 106 XN Petrol, R-reg, 103,000 miles]

My reliable mechanic informs me that:

The head gasket is going and will need to be replace sooner rather than later Clutch needs replacing It's worth replacing gearbox too as it is quite loud and whiney

And that it could cost around £1000.

Until this, my car has been amazing. It has cost me virtually nothing in the near-100,000 miles I've driven it, has been super-reliable and dependable. I am erring towards paying the money and getting the work done, but don't want to spend £1000 on it only to have to keep paying more and more as other things go wrong.

My mechanic says other than these issues the car is in good nick. Body is in great condition and I have no other problems.

Am I a fool for wanting to pay to keep the car running as opposed to running for the hills and getting another car? I hate the fact I won't be able to buy another Peugeot because they don't currently have a 106 model, and most of their range seems very unreliable nowadays anyway so I could get rid of my car, get a new one at quite an expense and end up with something unreliable.

What other issues should I look out for on a Peugeot 106 with 103,000 on the clock? If I get these things done, does that put the car in good stead for the future?

Thanks.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Sheen [UK]

sounds expensive price up a gearbox from the scrappies clutch kit form eurocarparts or gsf and head set from the same is this quote from a garage? cos you would be better off doing it yourself if possible

Reply to
mindwipe

Thanks for the warning. This wasn't a proper quote, probably more a worst-case scenario. I know very little about cars, and my mechanic is very good and I trust him, so this cost isn't much of an issue, but I am really wondering in general whether it is worth spending this money? If the car is going to give me a few more reliable years of service as it has done until this point I am happy to spend.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Sheen [UK]

=================== Since you like this model it would make good sense to buy a similar car of lower mileage. It would certainly cost less than £1000 and you would also get a least a few hundred for the old car. However, as another poster said, (or implied) your mechanic may not be as reliable as you think. Shop around for other quotes for the work - you might be pleasantly surprised!

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

price for a lower milage model of same year would be £700 ish by lower milage i would think about 60k

Reply to
mindwipe

That's about what we paid for the wife's 1.4 diesel version with a bit higher mileage.

Reply to
Malc

about right then mate better life expectancy on a diesel

Reply to
mindwipe

Thanks for the replies so far, but I would like to return to the main point of my (admittedly rambling) first post.

The quote by my mechanic is irrelevant to me (although I will shop around as suggested), my main point is: is it worth spending this money (~£1000) on my car, or is it throwing money into a black hole?

What are the things to look out for on an R-reg 106 with 103,000 miles on the clock? The bodywork is in good shape (no sign of rust or anything), but what about things like the suspension etc?

I have had no other problems with it, so is it safe to say that if I pay £1000 (for example) on getting the clutch done, the gearbox replaced and the head-gasket done, is there much else that can go wrong?

I don't want to buy a new car just for the sake of it. My car has always been dependable, and I would like to think that I can continue to rely on it for the years to come.

Thanks,

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Sheen [UK]

===================== As I said in my earlier reply, my reservations were based on how much you were going to pay - £1000. I would suggest that £500 would be a more reasonable figure and certainly worth spending on a car which you definitely intend keeping.

As far as the rest is concerned, brakes, suspension, steering and driveshafts are basically simple to check and fairly cheap and easy to replace where necessary - provided that you don't buy from Peugeot! If your car has been reasonably maintained then it's unlikely to need major replacements in one go. On a car of this age you should definitely look at all the flexible hoses in the braking system which tend to perish from old age.

The exception is the main rear suspension unit - the large bit carrying the torsion bars. This is widely regarded as being very difficult or nearly impossible to repair. Therefore have it checked very thoroughly as a new unit will cost about £1500 from Peugeot according to one advertiser. Having said that, a good second hand one can be bought for about £90-00 IF you can find one.

Personally, I think it's worth maintaining an older car but not a rip-off prices.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero
[SNIP]

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply. Certainly more for me to mull over. I will get the car checked over thoroughly, and pay particular attention to the aspects you have noted - especially the rear suspension unit.

It has a full service history, and although high mileage has served me well. I'd like to be fairly confident that if I pay to have these aspects dealt with, I can be fairly comfortable in thinking that the car won't become a financial black hole.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Sheen [UK]

Hi,

True it's not a big difference... However, you may be in a terrible situation if you cause an incident, esp. with somebody killed or badly injured (spelling ?).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

It sounds quite expensive. The clutch job is easy on a 106, and the head gasket as well. I would not bother with the gear box if it works acceptably. Indicative parts costs: BP 70 for clutch, 30 for gasket set. Head gasket should be 2 hrs labor by the book. So I am not sure how these add up to BP 1,000.

Just my 2c,

Nikolas

Reply to
intell1

I'd like to see anyone do a head gasket on a petrol TU in 2 hours! It's 1.3 to do a cambelt. The book time is around 4.5 to 5 hours. The clutch is around 4 hours.

Reply to
nigel