gearbox rework?

Hi!

My wifes Defender 90 2.5TD gave up with a loud "clonk", no more transmission :( We gave the Defender to the small workshop where we have it repaired all the time, and he gave us two possibilities. We could just get the two damaged parts fixed (see pictures at

)for less money, or we could have acomplete overhaul of the gearbox (new bearings, seals and such) formore money. He recommended (of course :-) the latter, because thewhole thing seems to loose oil in different places...I would like to hear a second opinion, and some figures what such arepair should/could/may cost... Thank you very much for your input!

Ralph.

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras

Depends on the difference in price. For an extra £100 or so I'd go for the rebuild, otherwise patch this one up and look for a decent replacement whilst it still runs.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Hi Ralph,

To be honest, i cant help thinking that if the parts are this worn then the chances are the rest of the gearbox may not be far behind. I couldnt work out exactly what was shown in the pics but it looks as if its the end of the mainshaft which is knackered, which basically runs the length of the gearbox so it requires a complete stripdown anyway! while its apart i would of thought that it would make sense to change all the other worn parts as a matter of course.

It all depends, in my mind what the vehicle is like that its in. If its generally in good condition and you intend to keep it it maybe easier (and quicker) to get a recon box from someone like Ashcroft or LEGS

Or if its a cheap and cheerful truck then you can pick up second hand on for a couple of hundred quid max. But then you dont know what condition thats it either apart from examining the splines on the mainshaft if the box is out.

My advice. Give LEGS a ring. They are experienced and when I spoke to them last year they were extremely helpful without trying to sell me a brand new box!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

at

less money, or we could have a> complete overhaul of the gearbox (new bearings, seals and such) for> more money. He recommended (of course :-) the latter, because the> whole thing seems to loose oil in different places...> I would like to hear a second opinion, and some figures what such a> repair should/could/may cost...>

What you show in the photo's is the "standard" problem caused by lack of oil reaching the appropriate place. To fix that you need a new mainshaft, transfer box input gear, two bearings for the same, and some seals. The rest of the gearbox is more often than not ok - what is in the photo's does not necesserily indicate the sate of the rest of it. You really need to strip the box and have a look at what's in there. Unless the box is damaged in some way, the "only" parts that usually *need* replacement are the synchro rings (even then, that's usually just making sure), the spigot shaft bearing and the rear layshaft bearing - but they could well be fine. While you are in there, doing the other three bearings won't do any harm. The in-out blocks and springs for the syncho hubs are worth checking, but often are fine. The actual gears themselves, and their needle bearings will be fine, again unless there has been some damage from lack of oil or similar. If your repairer is suggesting replacing some/all of the above then he's offering sound advice.

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

Is never an easy choice, but when you buy a recon gearbox, they only change the bits that are totally shot. If you open any used gearbox, they all show some sign of wear on the syncromesh hub etc. However to replace all the bits would cost as much if not more than a new box. So it comes down to how bad the actual gearbox was before the damage was discovered.

Reply to
Simon Cochran

I had a conversation with our repair guy, and so far the rest seems to be OK; he is stripping down the beast, checking what is needed and putting the stuff together again :)

Thank you for all your input!

Ralph.

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras

That's what I would expect.

This is a failure effectively external to the main gear box. It is unlikely that any damage inside the main 'box will have occurred which is attributable to the primary failure.

You're also right to attend to seals and other worn items whilst you're in there.

The obvious place to look for consequential damage is in the transfer 'box. Looking at the photographs, however, I think it unlikely that much debris has escaped the immediate area of failure.

Reply to
Dougal