SIIA 69' Gearbox

My Main Gearbox has no Fillinghole on top. The Brass Nut just in front of the cover with ventilation hole for the transferbox, covers a spring for loading the 3-4 gear selector ball.

I filled oil thru the levelcheck hole on the side of the main box. But why is there no "filler" hole on the top, is it an old gearbox ??

Regards Joaim Soya.

Reply to
Joakim Soya

No! Thats the way you are supposed to do it (apart from very early boxes, which had a filler).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

No, it is because it is NOT an early gearbox. Landrover gearboxes, in common with most gearboxes designed in the thirties and forties, had a filler and dipstick, being designed for filling and checking with no special equipment. Very early in Landrover production a level/filler plug was added to make it easier to service using the pumps that were becoming usual in garage workshops, and by the time that the Series 2a was introduced this had become so much the usual practice that the top filler and dipstick were discontinued. It is intended that the level be checked and oil added via the side level plug using a pump, either a manual pump on a 20l drum or a larger setup. You can get a syringe to allow oil to be transferred from a one or five liter container to the gearbox (or transfer case or diff or swivel) JD

Reply to
JD

There is a major oil leak from the output shaft side of the gearbox fitted to my S2a. I am told that there is NO oil seal there. When the vehicle is parked nose down it will leak! Is this true? If so, is there anything that I can do about it? Last bugger to "fix" the leak, did so successfully, when I checked the oil level he had drained it all out, leaving about half a litre!!

SS

Reply to
Landynut

I'm not quite sure where you're referring to, but the only place Series gearboxes seem to leak from reguraly is around the drain plugs and the xfer case bottom cover. All joints in the gearbox either have paper (or cork on earlier covers) gaskets, and both output shafts/drive flanges front and rear have lip oil seals. It shouldn't leak that much, but they do have a tendancy to drip oil despite best efforts.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Park nose up?

But I bet it didn't leak anymore!

Reply to
SimonJ

I assume you are talking about the output for the front prop shaft. This, in common with all the shaft input and outputs on the gearbox does have a seal. It is easily replaced, but if the output flange is worn where the seal runs, it may need to be replaced as well. JD

Reply to
JD

Oops, it is the INPUT shaft that I was referring to! Just looked in the manual, it shows a rather interesting technique for removing the input shaft. Does this have an oil seal? If not what would cause my vehicle's bell housing to spew out so much EP90? maybe the oil seal at the end of the lay shaft?

SS

Reply to
Landynut

This method is quite sucessful, thanks. Problem is that I would like to drive the car from time to time. Another snag is my preference for bumps slightly larger than those at the local shopping mall, although the odd Nissan Mikra has been known to provide some amusement :-)

Bloody right about that! Good thing the mechie spotted it.

Reply to
Landynut

According to my manual, the most likely cause for your oil leak is the seal on the clutch release shaft, which is lower than the input shaft. There is no seal on the input shaft, just an "oil scroll" which can also let oil through if it is damaged, although it is hard to see how it could get damaged. Looks as if it is gearbox out time, although you can probably move it back enough to see what the problem is without actually lifting it out. JD

Reply to
JD

Thanks JD, recall that the same peanut that last worked on this box, is the one who "drained" the oil to cure the leak! I will strip this box myself, even though it may take a year, at least I'll know wtf is going on. Just collected 10L of the Shell equivalent to EP90, now I just need to knock down the rear wall of my garage, so I can get some cars round the back - then the games begin!

SS

Reply to
Landynut

looking at it from a more objective point of view, the guy who "cured" it could have taken it for a "test drive" [hahaha screech!], then cleaned the 'box, taken it for a brief test drive, discovered hey presto no oil leaking! "Just bill him for 1 hour" :o) Understandable, although not necessarily forgiveable! That is the lottery of garages who aren't a solid recommendation.

Reply to
Mark

There is indeed no seal for the primary pinion, just a return scroll - either the gearbox was overfilled (you've established this is not the case) or the clutch release mechanism housing gasket has failed. No need to strip the box, just remove the box & replace the gasket & clutch release shaft oil seal that are located in the bell housing, then drop it back in again.

SS

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

OK, I took the box out today, the bell housing / clutch assembly was caked in mud:-( I had the not so smart idea of rinsing it out with the hose pipe before separating it from the engine. When I finally got the box onto the floor water started pouring out where the spigot / input shaft comes out!! There is a fair amount of lateral play on the output shaft, is this normal or is something horrible worn in there? No grindy noises though. My next move is to open the box & get a good look if there are any gremlins hiding in there.

Regards Sean

Reply to
Landynut

Regards Sean

No, that's normal - the primary pinion (the shaft you're looking at) is currently only supported at the rear, as you have separated it from the flywheel. In the middle of the flywheel is the front bearing, a phosphor bronze bush that's a light press fit into the middle of the flywheel. While your in there make sure it's not too worn, though it gets little wear as most of it's life it's not doing any work (only when the clutch is depressed)

What you're most likely to have, IMHO is a gasket leak in the clutch release housing, you do not have to remove the bellhousing to change that. There really is not much else that can cause a leak of gear oil into the bell housing, unless you're in the habit of driving downhill at a gradient sufficient (30° or so) to make the oil pour down the primary pinion. This can, and does, happen and the solution is to bring the vehicle back to level. Oil will continue to come out the flywheel drain hole for days afterwards as it can be thick by then, as well as muddy.

Also, in your case, I'd change the gear oil as you may well have water in it.

Karen Gallagher

[...]

Maybe this is the problem:-) The vehicle is not used as a pavement hopper.

SS

Reply to
Landynut