1998 406 ignition switch change

Morning all. The aux contacts on my switch seem to have gone again, after being swapped out less than 3 years ago. As I contemplate my annual pilgrimage to the french alps, I am quite keen to get the heater blower working again!

This time around, I am wondering what is involved in changing the switch myself (not entire ignition lock). I suspect its all well tamper-proofed and security locked....what is involved exactly? Or should I avoid it and pay though the nose again?

cheers, John

Reply to
John Ricketts

I did this job a few months ago: it's really not too bad.

The lock is designed to be tamper-proof when in the locked position, but dismantleable once the key is inserted and turmed to the "run" position. The biggest problem I had was that the switch had got very hot and melted the plastic body into a fused lump, so a certain amount of persuasion was needed to turn the key to the correct position to allow dismantling.

A Haynes book-of-lies did help.

Note that the switch comes with a new circlip, so you don't need to carefully bend the old one back into shape. (I spotted that too late.....) Also, you'll need a longish torx screwdriver to get the cowl off. The electrics are easy, three colour-coded and keyed plugs.

A new switch cost 60 quid or so from a Peugeot dealer, and the job took about an hour. It would take less time second time around, but I'm hoping that I won't need to do it again.

Cheers,

Simon.

Reply to
simon

Cheers! From my experience, plan on it lasting 3 years or less!

Reply to
John Ricketts

It could be worth finding the high current culprit and checking that it is in fact working correctly. It is also possible to add a relay to that circuit, thus reducing the load on the switch. Mine went on the starter contact, as the 30 amps or so that the solenoid took was routed through the switch. I was able to clean the switch only, then add a relay and it worked for ever from then on.

Reply to
Brian

2 30A c/o relays (=A33ish). a bit of cable and 30mins to spare..... I'd be tempted if it were my car but as it's not I couldn't possibly recommend it. J
Reply to
johntyers

I'll need to swap out the switch in any case, and seeing as the motor is a

1998 with 130,000 miles >
2 30A c/o relays (£3ish). a bit of cable and 30mins to spare..... I'd be tempted if it were my car but as it's not I couldn't possibly recommend it. J
Reply to
John Ricketts

Ouch! I just went to the Peugeot main agents. They claim they don't sell the switch on its own, only the complete ignition lock assembly, which they say they have to order from the key number. They want nearly 140 quid for supply only! This sounds garbage to me....anyone know of a source of the switch only?

Thanks, John

Reply to
John Ricketts