ignition switch

Hi i just bought a 70 beetle the the igniton switch was broke out and they were using a screwdriver to start the car how do you change the ignition switch read the Bently manual said the was a small hole for a WIRE to releas the pin cant find the hole help

Reply to
DiabloRScamaro

It's a bit more involved. You have to take the steering wheel off, then 4 tiny screws that hold the turn sig switch. Then 2 larger screws that hold the security plate over the lock housing.

Now you can push/pull the wires from the bottom of the switch and get the lock housing at least part way out. Then you'll be able to push a small tool (paper clip size) into the hole and release the flat spring in order to pull the lock cylinder out.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

.....................yikes!

..............And yet they wonder why some of us choose to live with a worn out one and use a relay or auxiliary battery to solenoid switch.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

ROTFLMAO!

Good one. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I did all this and even found the hole. I still could not get it apart until I thought of spraying WD-40 on it. I let it soak over night. The next day I put it in a vice, pushed a small nail into the hole with one hand, and twisted the round part where the key goes with pliers. This got it. Crud had worked it's way in there and was acting like glue.

Reply to
Sleepy Joe