205 camshaft oil seal

I have an oil leak coming from the drivers side (RHD) of the engine near the top (been leaking for years actually).

It looks like it's leaking from the camshaft oil seal. I'll take the top section of the cam cover off to check, but...

what's the procedure for replacing the oil seal. Does the cambelt have to be taken off? I'm a bit wary of doing this, as I seem to remember Peugeot use a special tool to re-tension.

Reply to
Paul S

Which engine do you have? The procedure is basically the same for both types but the XU series has an extra cover plate to remove behind the camshaft pulley.

Remove the camshaft sprocket (and cover plate) Remove the old seal (punch a couple of holes in it, screw something into them and pull it out) Clean/deburr the seal housing Drop a little oil on the new seal and drive it in with a tubular drift (eg a large socket) Refit the (plate and) sprocket.

As for retensioning the belt i've made a tool which does an adequate job (This is for the TU engine, I cannot vouch for it on anything else), but obviously you shouldnt rely on it to get you further than the garage..:

Find something with a square end that fits in the tensioner socket (I used a broken thread tap) Find a spanner that fits on the other end of your square thing, and tie a piece of string to it 80mm from the end which fits on the square thing. Fill a plastic bottle with approximately 1.5L of water (so it weighs

1.5KG) and tie it to the other end of the string. Put this all together and hang it from the tensioner so the spanner is about parallel with the ground and the bottle hangs freely, and tighten the tensioner nut.

Can scan you the relevant pages/diagrams from haynes if you need them.

Hope this is some use Andy

Reply to
stealthf0x

Thanks Andy

What a dumbo I am, not giving any details of the car.

Its a 1992 1.4GR, with a derivative of the TU3 engine called TU3.2 (very rare, apparently) ,and it's non-cat.

I have 1989 Haynes manual from two previous 205's. It has a Ch13 supplement, but it does'nt have a separate section for either Cambelt or Camshaft Oil Seal replacement, so I'd appreciate your offer of a scan. I'll send you an e-mail, assuming your address is as given.

When you say, "but obviously you shouldnt rely on it to get you further than the garage.." do I need to get it checked by a Peugeot dealer or any reputable garage (any idea what they'd charge - I'm not used to dealing with garages) ?

Do I need to drain the engine oil first ?

Reply to
Paul S

Yes the email is valid ;) I'll fish your mail out of the spam bin, and i'll be able to scan/send sometime tomorrow.

Probably a good idea to drain the oil first (I always change the oil and filter whenever i have the engine apart, as a matter of course), but if you leave it a while after running the engine it'll have mostly drained back down to the sump anyway so shouldnt be too much of a problem if you dont.

'Fraid I cant help on price as I've never actually bothered to go and get it checked...any decent garage should be able to tell you if its tensioned correctly or not, and I wouldnt expect to pay much (if at all) if they don't need to adjust it.

HTH Andy

Reply to
stealthf0x

And I'd advise if you're doing that to leave the covers off so that they can check it, else they WILL cahrge you!!

Reply to
nigel

Andy, or anyone else that can help.

Sunday, 02 October 2005 12:43pm

I?ve removed the Upper and Centre timing belt covers.

The area around the camshaft looks dry as a bone, so I was barking up the wrong tree (having already bought the camshaft oil seal).

The problem now is, I can?t tell where the oil?s coming from. Looking side on, at the timing belt end, only the front third of the block is oil stained, and only from about a third of the way down from the top. The timing belt looks and feels free of oil, and the crankshaft sprocket also looks dry. The body of the alternator, but not the fan belt, is soaked in oil.

I?m perplexed as to where the oil could be coming from.

Anyone any ideas, or know what I can try next.

Reply to
Paul S

I am not familiar with this engine but, in the past I usually found that "untraceable" oil leaks invariably came from a dodgy oil pressure switch that is screwed in to the block.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Sounds to me that the head gasket is leaking oil. Around that area is the oil feed to the head, and there are problems with the gasket going in that area. I can't think of anything else that would soak the alternator. But have a look for any oil gallery plugs in the head in that area. The earlier type were allen key plugs, and if leaking could be taken out and resealed. Later types were a ball bearing hammered into the hole. I've never known this type to leak. However I would plump for the head gasket!

Reply to
nigel

I'll second that. Just had a look at mine and there's not a lot else to go wrong around there, except the dipstick tube is right above the alternator...but I'd guess that wouldnt get a lot of oil on the block from it's position.

Andy

Reply to
stealthf0x