Camshaft oil seals 2.5L

I am in the process of replacing my timing belt and water pump on my '96 Legacy Outback 2.5L. I had intended to replace the camshaft oil seals as a precaution but whereas the Haynes manual says you can hold the cam sprockets with a pair of large channel-lock pliers while loosening the sprocket bolt it looks as if a special tool is needed.

The cam sprockets appear to be plastic. All four have approx. a 2½" hex head molded into the face but on the driver's side the face of the sprocket is recessed so using pliers seems to be out of the question. The manual warns against trying to hold the sprocket with the timing belt.

Does anyone have any experience with gettng the cam sprockets off?

Ed P

Reply to
Ed P

Careful!! You have the DOHC engine, if the valve spring tension rotates the cam when you remove the belt, it can bend valves, and you then have an expensive job on your hands. You need a locking tool that fits in the hex, and then you "unload" the spring tension on the cam with the tool, at which point you can remove the cams. On re-assembly, you need to load the cam, and lock it with the tool, and remove it only once the belt is back on and preventing the cams from moving independent of each other. Only one of the cams is loaded, you need to carefully follow the instructions in the service manual to avoid the "sinking feeling" syndrome (had in on several occassions, not a fun place to be!). Channel locks have no place in this repair, I don't think you could even hold the sproket tight enough to remove the bolt with them. Certainly a poor, poor procedure on Haynes part.

Ed B

Reply to
ed

On my 2.2 W/ 5-manual I held engine rotation with a tool jammed into the flywheel teeth through the opening at the top of the housing, then loosened the cam sprocket bolts with just the timing belt holding them, but this might not work if the bolts are rusted in. I think most folks use a strap wrench to hold the sprockets. -Danny

Reply to
Danny Russell

flywheel teeth through the

with just the timing belt

most folks use a strap

This would work for loosening the sproket bolts, since you would be changing the belt, but you would not want to strain the new belt when tightening the bolts back on. Certainly, a strap wrench would be better.

Ed B

Reply to
ed