206 Steering

Anyone else ever had problems with the steering clunking when on full lock? Especially when reversing, it feels like a sudden clunk as if you've driven over a brick.

Dealer has had it twice and renewed some bushes, but this has made no difference at all. Tracking has been checked and is supposedly OK but am now beginning to see signs of uneven tyre wear on the outside of both front tyres.

Any thoughts gratefully received...

Cheers, Lee

Reply to
Proteus

Hi,

Are the inside walls of the tyres able to touch the body at all, on full lock either way? How positive and accurate does the steering feel to be (i.e. is the rack able to shift around and permit too much lock)?

Which bushes? Rack-mounting, suspension trunnions (or whatever they're called these days), what?

Tracking has been checked and is supposedly OK but am now

It sounds to be toed-in too far, and scrubbing the tyres as a result. I suggest you take it back to the dealer, show him that his monkeys have wrecked your tyres and ask him to supply replacements (free or pro rata, depending on how new they were before he 'repaired' the car). And ask him to fix the clunking noises at the same time (and the same rate of pay, since he didn't get it right the last time).

Good luck.

Philip

Reply to
Philip Andrews

As far as I can see, the tyres do not touch the bodywork at all....and I'm not sure which bushes were changed.

The car is still within warranty, so don't worry, the service or dealer manager will be "spoken" to.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this problem and if they had found the solution...

Cheers, Lee

Reply to
Proteus