306 Door membrane

Hi all,

After my car having been hit on the passenger side of my 1999 5door 306, my `insurance approved` bodyshop has now twice! tried to fob me off by sticking an old bit of polythene down the inside of the doors rather than getting a membrane kit from peugeot.

Question is, I have logged on the EPG and there are parts listed for all of the grey foam membrane/sound deadening pieces that should be there, and for the flap of polythene that goes behind the speaker on the front door, but, if I take a torch and look through the tiny gap with the with the interior door handle open (by the hinge of the handle) there is definitely polythene behind it, between the two skins of the door on both the front and rear original doors (drivers side). On the new doors (passenger side) there is no polythene, but none is listed on the EPG that I can see, or that my dealer is aware of.

Does this polythene come with one of the kits, or is it extra or what?

Any ideas?

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Jennings

Does this polythene come with one of the kits, or is it extra or what?

I would think original equipment membrane should be part of the repair. An old plastic bag or equivalent will definitely not do. If the membrane is defective or the rubber window seal, you get rainwater inside the door. Say goodbye to electric window motors, switches and radio speakers. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

If the water gets as far as the membrane then the bits "electric window motors, switches and radio speakers" are not going to be affected by the membrane as they are all outside it.

One thing the membrane does that polyethene doesn't do as well is reduce sound. The membrane is an expanded foam type so it does absorb a little sound rather than just act like a drum skin.

Andy

Reply to
Andy C

All doors let water in,,, check the bottom of the door and you will find drain holes or slits, these allow the rain water to drain out on to your sills, the membrane is also there to stop the water contaminating the door trim, and leaking in to the car, HTH Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy