306 Electricals

I've just bought a '93 306 XR. I know about the more common electrical problems but this ones a bit strange. When I put it in reverse not only does the reversing light not come on, but the dashboard stop light and overheat light on the temperature gauge come on very dimly (not full brightness as before start-up). At the same time, the temperature gauge doesn't register. The tachometer also doesn't work, and hasn't for ages. I am assuming they aren't linked.

Slightly easier: When the ignition is on but before start-up an orange light in the centre of the instrument panel comes on. From the picture it looks like the clutch or gearbox. It goes off when the engine is running. Is this normal as I dont have the manual?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Reply to
Flip

light in the centre of the instrument panel comes on. From the picture it looks like the clutch or gearbox. It goes off when the engine is running. Is this normal as I dont have the manual?

I think you'll find that that is your ABS light. They normally go off after

2 or 3 seconds or after you start your engine. They also have a habit of staying on if you drive off before they switch off. As long as they do this they're telling you that the ABS is O.K. A visit to your local MOT place should give you access to info they normally have in a poster on the wall. At my MOT place does...just saw it yesterday.

Sorry I don't know about the other problem but it sounds like a bad earth. The first thing I would do is locate the joins in your cable harness or the earthing adjacent the affected parts and give them a spray with WD40. You'll be surprised how this effects connections if you've never tried it before.

Keep it simple and try and remember if you've worked on anything recently, then check those areas first.

I hope this of some help. Good Luck.

Reply to
vass20

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Reply to
Flip

I had a similar prob found that he person before didnt connect the -ve lead that well to the battery so the earth was loose, also caused the car to stop completely whislt in the most inconvient places, Fast lane of motorway on a roundabout etc!!!

Reply to
The Question Asker