306 Relay clicking on/off...?

Hi there,

In the last 3/4 days, I have noticed a clicking noise, identical to the sound of the indicators.

It sounds like a relay turning on and off. It does so on and off for no particular reason, and i cant notice it causing any problems apart from the noise.

Sometimes it will click on and off really fast for a few seconds, then stop and come back etc.

I cant seem to notice what is causing it, so wondered if it was a common problem?

I have looked to see if it is linked to what gear I'm in, how fast i go, when i brake etc...

Any ideas?

It is an X reg 1.8 Meridian, Manual Petrol.

Thanks.

Reply to
KW_UK

Sounds like a dodgy indicator switch.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

hi,

could this be so?

when the clicking can be heard the indicator lights on the dash and on the car are not blinking...

Reply to
KW_UK

Yes. I had a similar problem and the indicator lights didn't flash but the relay was clicking. The contacts in the switch were badly carboned up causing power to go to the relay when it shouldn't have.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

Cool, thanks jim,

somethin easy to look at or just send it to a dealer?

its only done32k

Reply to
KW_UK

See this previous thread

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

I have had this problem and found the solution in an earlier post in this group. If you really give the stalk a good wiggle it will go away.... It is something to do with metal filings from the contacts being stuck between the switch contacts.

It may not go completely away with your first wiggle but after a few it should stop the problem. The alternative is a new switch.

Fingers crossed... :o)

Konichiwa

Reply to
konichiwa

You can also try removing the switch and squirting contact cleaner or WD40 in through one of the holes as you wiggle it around.

I had pretty much resigned myself to getting a new one when the problem kept coming back, so I had a go at taking the switch apart as I had nothing to lose.

I was half expecting it to come apart in a shower of springs and bits of metal that I wouldn't be able to get back in place, but it turns out to be remarkably simple inside.

The trickiest bit is getting the top off, you have to lever off the four clips with a screwdriver without breaking them. Once inside, there are 3 flat metal contacts on the right which you need to clean. There is also a spring loaded contact on the end of the arm which might need cleaning, or if badly worn out of shape might need the lips that have formed filed down.

When you put the switch back together, make sure the sector gear which controls the headlights engages properly, and then clip the top back on.

-Mark

Reply to
Mark Rae

Thanks for the suggetions.

Seems to have stopped now, but knowing peugeots you can guarantee it will come back when it feels like it!

Reply to
KW_UK