Digital dash weirdness

Would anyone know why all the warning lights on my digital dash would light up simply by making a left hand turn? I turned the corner and voila'! All warning lights came on. Now, the gauge lights are out so I don't have any reading on anything but the red warning light above the voltage gague was also lit. I've seen the dash act crazy at times, but this is a new one...alternator again? Would be the third one..

Gerry

By the way..85 300ZX non-turbo....

Reply to
Gerry Wolf

That's not smart, when it overheats you'll ruin the engine etc etc.

Let me guess autozone/pepboys alternators? They have a 'lifetime warranty', you'll be replacing them the rest of your life. Take this one off and get a nissan dealer reman one unless you enjoy swapping alternators.

To fix the gauges see:

Steve T

Any way to check the alternator without removing it? Was told to run it and remove the negative cable from the battery terminal, if it still runs, it's ok? Advice?

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Wolf

Thats a total BULL SHIT way of testing modern alternators. That's what shadetree mechanics did on cars with generators and old point type external regulated alternators, even then doesn't tell you anything about what kind of AMPS it can put out etc. Do that test on a modern internal regulated IC controlled alternator and you'll probably kill a perfectly good one.

Already gave it. Stop using cheapo auto parts store alternators, there is a reason they don't cost a lot, they are JUNK!! Unless you just enjoy re-replacing them every few weeks? I see this all the time and I REFUSE to install these things when people bring them to us as no one is ever happy with the results.

Reply to
Steve T

Steve,

You seem to know much more than I regarding these cars, I'll let you know of a new development I encountered tonight....If I turn off the heat/ac unit (I'm in Wisconsin, so it was heat!) The warning lights on the top of the display go out, NOT the alternator light though...am I looking for a short? Or is that part of the amplifier?

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Wolf

Still sounds like a flakey alternator.