307 - 110bhp deisel

Looking for a new 'tow' car to pull 1250 kg caravan. Have driven the

307 110 bhp 1600cc deisel and it goes like stink (I think I frightened the salesman) .

Seems great without a load on the back but concerned it may be overwhelmed by caravan due to its small cc. Am limited by the size of car and budget or else would have biggest and best (wouldn't we all !). It is supposedly given a tow weight of 1300 kg

Has anyone else towed with this engine?

Reply to
Big Ian

ace13

My 307SW 110 with the 2.0l engine will tow 1500kg. Don't know if the extra towing capacity is due to the weight of the vehicle, or the extra torque on this larger engine.

Reply to
Brian

I'd steer well clear of such a small car for towing !

You can easily pick up a 3.0 V6 Peugeot 406 for £1000, upto arond £5000 or so for the 2002-2003 cars. Also consider the 160bhp 2.2 Petrol engine and the 136bhp 2.2 HDi.

If budget is a consideration, then buying a new 307 is loonacy. You'll lose the entire cost of a Peugeot 406, in the first year of depreciation alone !!!

What's more, 110bhp isn't enough to comfortably pull a Caravan. My folks used a Rover 827 2.7 V6 to pull theirs for the past few years, and just last week changed to a 2003 Mondeo Estate. It's a 2.5 V6 Ghia X, fully loaded, immaculate condition, cost just £6500. The bigger the better, for both engine and car !

Reply to
Nom

I hadn't realised prices had dropped to that sort of level. Hmmm. Apparently coupés are about for under 3k as well. Double Hmmm.

You still have the coupé? Any major problems?

Reply to
Albert T Cone