307 steering judder

Help, i have a 2.0 dturbo hdi and i am getting steering judder at about 70mph onwards, i had new tyres which have been balanced the garage has checked it out and still the judder is present and is now driving me up the wall is this a common fault with the 307.

Reply to
tex avery

No it's not a common fault. What are the new tyres?

Reply to
Godfrey Wilkes

Had a similar problem years ago on a Cortina and later on a Princess. The answer in both cases was to have the wheels balanced on the car instead of taking them off to do them.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Reply to
tex avery

Anything like this , I always start where the car touches the road, I don't doubt your tyres have been checked, but have they been checked for oval ? ? oval tyres can still be balanced, but can also cause a judder at speed, swap some front wheels and tyres from another vehicle and test,, or swap front to back? worth a try !! Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

cheers i will try it and let you know

Fitzy wrote:

Reply to
tex avery

Reply to
tex avery via CarKB.com

Check track rod ends,,, a slight imbalance in a tyre can be exaggerated by a warn T.R End I would still go for the tyres though,,,,, By moving them around the car ,there is a slight improvement, is it possible you have two defective tyres ? you need to eliminate the tyres completely, by swapping the wheels from a car that has no problem, I know I am going on about the tyres, but I don't think we have 100% certainty yet, and I cant move on until I am satisfied,, Sorry mate HTH Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

I had just the same problem - took the car back three times for rebalancing - goes away after a while but came back on second set of new tyres - I'm now on my secong 307 and not looking forward to replacing the tyres

Good luck

Reply to
Andy Hardstaff

Are they original alloys on there? Or aftermarket ones? I would definitely look at whether the hub is snug with the diameter of the central bore of the alloy wheel.

Or are you using spacers with for example Ford Alloys?

Alloy wheels (or spacers) can come as 67mm or 73mm sizes. Peugeots have a 65.2mm hub - therefore you get plastic or metal SPIGOT RINGS (or O ring) to compensate for the gap.

The reason there must be no gap is the wheels are HUB CENTRIC and apart from wobble/vibration you risk shearing off the bolts and the consequences of this.

There are some on ebay for =A310 delivered.

Otherwise is the steering rack in good order?

Reply to
webmarketing

Reply to
tex avery via CarKB.com