406 Cam Belt Replacement

I'm getting conflicting advice from garages over the replacement period for a cam belt.

Car: Year 2001, 406 Estate, Auto 2.0 litre Petrol

Mileage 33,000 (53,000 km)

Age 5 years.

Does the cambelt need to be replaced yet ?

TIA

Reply to
Mark Carver

Our 1998 306 1.4l has a 72,000 mile Peugeot recommended timing belt replacement interval. At 12,000 miles per year, this works out at every

6 years.

Most people recommend it gets replaced much earlier than 72,000. Haynes recommends 36,000.

I've also heard that if on a low mileage car, it's worth replacing it around 5 years, even if the mileage limit isn't hit.

Our Peugeot dealer quoted £99 to replace our timing belt (up from £75 or so a few years ago). But I believe this to just be the belt - not any of the pumps/tensioners etc running off that belt, which many people recommend as often these are the causes of belt failure when they jam etc.

David Hearn

For your car it is 80,000 miles or 5 years, so it is due on time basis. I would suggest getting a cambelt kit fitted which includes the static roller and the tensioner roller. Also renew the auxilliary belt. If there are signs of leakage from the water pump renew that too. Labour time is around 3.5 hours for the belt and 4.5 if the water pump needs doing. In this case you will need antifreeze. Which by the way should also be changed every 5 years!

Reply to
nigel

A friend recently had the tensioner roller fail on a 1997 1.6 406. It had covered almost 160.000 km, with the cambelt changed at 90.000 km. The rollers were obviously not changed by the former (cheapskate) owner. Deductions:

  1. The 406 tension roller fails before 100.000 miles/160.000 km mark.
  2. Don't be stingy! Change the rollers as well as the cam/crankshaft seals and the water pump. A small price to pay for a great peace of mind.

IPG

Reply to
Ívar Pétur Guðnason

Take a look in your owner's manual - it lists the exact service schedule, with a breakdown of what needs doing when. My 2001 3.0 V6 Coupe states the cambelt needs doing every 4 services / 80,000 miles / 8 years (although leaving it for 8 years is probably a bad idea - I plan to have mine changed next year).

Reply to
Nom