Timing Belt

Can somebody tell me when the timing belt on a 95-m-plate 'seat ibiza' is to be replaced,it is using the 'vw' running gear.

Many Thanks.

Reply to
simon

Which engine?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Which engine?!?!

Some are 36k, some are 50k some are 60k.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

If in doubt, change it. 10,000 miles early is better than 100 yards late. Trust me, I know :-((

Reply to
shazzbat

IMHO the biggest con ever inflicted on the motoring public by car manufacturers was the rubber band that in some cases requires replacement at under 40,000 miles.

It can render what was a perfectly good vehicle beyond economical repair in an instant and although it may not be a problem for the more knowledgeable on these newsgroups [who no doubt make certain that cam belts are replaced well before their maximum life] I'm willing to bet that 75 per cent of motorists wouldn't have even the remotest clue what a timing belt was all about .

I'm amazed by asking around at the amount of people who have experienced this sudden and expensive failure - fortunately so far never in the fast lane of a motorway! - whilst I appreciate the advantages of lightness, quietness etc, surely in this day and age something a little more fail-safe could be devised?

Reply to
Orange

The belt is not normally the part that fails, it is usually the tensioner / idler / water pump that fails. We just say it's the cam belt that's failed.

Reply to
Fred

replacement

knowledgeable

Yet the main emphasis from manufacturers is to change the actual belt at specified intervals and it's usually recommend to check items such as tensioners and water pumps at the same time.

However, irrespective of the cause it would be interesting to know how many breakdowns and how much grief is caused in a single day through what appears to be a very common problem.

I believe there are some engines whereby a cam belt failure doesn't create major damage, no doubt there is some good reason for these not to be in the majority, perhaps because of shortcomings in performance or efficiency?

Reply to
Orange

message

'seat ibiza'

100 yards late.

car

replacement at

I disagree. It's a perfectly acceptable method of driving a camshaft. How can it be a con if an owner is told it needs replacing at 'xx' k miles? If it breaks beyond that mileage. Is it the manufacturers fault? Of course it isn't. It's because an owner ignored the manufacturers advice. Might not be the current owner, but if baught s/h, my advice is that if you don't know when it was changed for certain. Change it ASAP.

economical repair in

knowledgeable

are replaced

cent of

belt was all

What are you saying? That anyone should expect to drive a car without any problems just because they don't have clue about the need to replace a timing belt? If they can't be bothered to read a handbook, or at least find out what maintenance is required for their car, it's their own fault if they are faced with a big bill when the cambelt breaks. They don't need to be knowledgable. Any dealer would tell them if asked. But, as I say, if they can't be bothered. Hard luck. With their next car, maybe they wont be so complacent.

experienced

in the fast

lightness,

more fail-safe

Fail safe. I doubt it. Even a chain or gears will fail eventually. If you mean all engines should be designed so as not to cause damage if the cam drive fails, maybe that would mean compromises would have to be made that could adversely affect fuel economy, performance, and/or manufacturing costs. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

[...]

It went on my wife's old Punto. I was dreading the repair bill from the garage but it turned out that no damage is caused if the belt goes on a Punto. Lucky for me or at least it would have been if the clutch never went the following week and then the rear wheel cylinder the following week!!

Reply to
Steven Campbell

It has, and my 1966 Volvo 121 is running it... can and follower driven cam...as did the A Series (Mini) and a shed load of other stuff and well before my Volvo.

I think the cam belt probably was introduced where arrangament of cogs was feasible, or as a solution to the introduction of more developed engines...some (Cynically!) woudl say that it's a damn sight cheater to produce a big rubber belt than a set of fine tollerence cogs.

I have to agree with Mike G, if people don't follow the instructions then if it breaks a large proportion of the blame has to fall on that person's shoulders. If you're going to spend £xxxxx on a car, you think that you'd make sure it was well looked after.

My 2p

EricR

Reply to
EricR

As well as asking here I would ring your local dealer.

Bill

Reply to
bill