406 clanging from engine

Hi guys, got a problem with metallic clanging from cambelt side. Whole cambelt set (together with rolles) has been replaced about 2500 km ago, any ideas what it might be?

Reply to
crism

Probably the crankshaft pulley

Reply to
Nigel

My crankshaft pulley went a few weeks ago. It is rubber bonded and the two parts start to separate and make a clattery clangy noise. My mechanic found mine when doing the service and MOT so he fixed it then. New one from Pug is around £120 but he got it from GSF for £90. Fitting was an hour (or thereabouts).

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

More than likely the bottom pulley - I'm now om my third - the last one was changed last week under warranty as it had been replaced less than a year ago

Reply to
Peter

I wonder how much this cost to be done as I think my noise may be caused by the bottom pulley!!!!

Reply to
Steve

The pulley is about £90 from GSF parts (£120 from Pug). I cannot say how much to fit because mine was done with other work but I don't think it is that major a job. My mechanic reckoned that if you (carefully) peered down with a torch when the engine was running you could see bits flying off.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks