406 exterior temperature sensor

Apologies if this has been asked before but where is it? Mine is saying 33C at the moment which it plainly isn't. 1998 406 GLX 2.0 if it makes any difference.

Reply to
malc

ISTR it is in the door mirror but I can't remember which side.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Good heaven's that was quick. I did wonder because the mirror housings do get moved quite a bit due to the narrowness of the spaces in the work's carpark.

Reply to
malc

It's in the passenger side at the bottom. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Ah, that would explain the little pip poking out which is absent from the driver's side. Now all I need ot know is what is it, a thermistor?

Reply to
malc

Fascinating! - I've always wondered. Have just found it and held my finger on it. Watched the temperature climb.

Seemed to me that it would be affected by car speed as the wind blows over it. Can't say that I've noticed it though

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

Speed is irrelevant to sensing temperature as far as a sensor is concerned. People feel colder the faster they go or when the wind blows faster because they are a source of heat and the airflow takes the heat away quicker than the body can put it back so we feel cold.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Not strictly true but my comment was a gut reaction without thinking carefully! There is a small effect of speed from aerodynamics/thermodynamics and evaporative cooling if wet. All negligible in this case. Perhaps of more significance,to the indicated temperature, but again doesn't matter, will be effects of the surrounding casing being heated or not by the sun. Then it becomes a heat source that is cooled by the air speed over the casing. Just being a pedant - sorry! Probably comes from having spent more than a little time in wind tunnel work.

Henry

Reply to
Dragon