406 handbarke adjustment

Hi all, anyone got any ideas how to adjust up my handbrake on my 1999 406?i have looked about for adjuster but cant see one? thanks in advance.

Reply to
jazzy29

It's a bugger, all told.

Get the car up on a lift and look towards the rear, just by the back box of the exhaust. There's a metal heat shield there. Remove the two bolts holding that on, and you should be able to see where the two halves of the brake cable connect to the handbrake line. There's going to be a nasty 'orrible rusty lump of metal there that was at one time a bolt and casing type arrangement. Spray this liberally with WD40 or other penetrating oil and scrape madly with a wire brush. Eventually you should be able to see something that looks rather like the brake calipers from a bicycle. What you need to do is unscrew the nuts on this arrangement so that more of the bolt is within the casing (You'll see what I mean when you get under there) therefore making the brake cable shorter.

If you have trouble finding it, I'll try and get a reasonable-ish picture of mine.

John

Reply to
John Duffey

thanks john, info was spot on about shield and how to adjust. i must have been luck because under the shield the adjuster was like new so made job simple!! thanks again cheers james!!

Reply to
jazzy29