99 206 XS - Engine knock

Hi
Got a 99 206 XS and its running fine but... The engine has started to make an odd knocking type noise that you can only really hear on idle as
as soon as you start to move off the road noise drowns it out. It makes no difference if the clutch is depressed or not so its not the gearbox and it also increases in 'speed' if you blip the throttle. There is no smoke on overrun and and no loss of power etc. It has not really got any worse since it started about 600 miles ago but i want to find out what it is. Oil levels are fine etc.
Any ideas on this one as i am stumped - If i were to guess to me it sounds a bit cammy but as i said thats a guess.
Any ideas?
thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–
tom wrote:

bottom end knock Hayes says....Knocking or thumping noise ..Worn big end bearings.(regular heavy knocking, perhaps less under load.)Worn main bearings (rumbling and knocking, perhaps worsening under load) Piston slap,(most noticeable when cold)Ancillary component fault(coolant pump.alternator.etc...hope this helps in some way.chris addlestone surrey
Add pictures here
βœ–

thanks for the tip - car has only done 67k so i would not expect something major like a bottom end going so i hope is not that!! Would the water pump possibly make a noise like that? It has pas and air con too so i guess it could be any of those....
Add pictures here
βœ–
tom wrote:

has the car been hamered?lots of motor way driving also the last person might of let the oil go down low, which dos not help.
Add pictures here
βœ–
If it’s diesel it could be an injector on it’s way out
Ke
"Chris" wrote
> tom wrote: > > > >> bottom end knock Hayes says....Knocking or thumping noise > ..Worn big > >> end bearings.(regular heavy knocking, perhaps less under > load.)Worn > >> main bearings (rumbling and knocking, perhaps worsening > under load) > >> Piston slap,(most noticeable when cold)Ancillary component > >> fault(coolant pump.alternator.etc...hope this helps in some > way.chris > >> addlestone surrey > > > > thanks for the tip - car has only done 67k so i would not > expect > > something major like a bottom end going so i hope is not > that!! Would > > the water pump possibly make a noise like that? It has pas > and air con > > too so i guess it could be any of those.... > has the car been hamered?lots of motor way driving also the > last person > might of let the oil go down low, which dos not help.
βœ–

thanks its a 1.6 petrol
its now solved however and turned out to be a loose spark plug! I guess th blow-by was causing the sound that was exactly like a major bottom end woe!
mechanic could not diagnose it but in the end after lots of tinkering i figured it out.
Add pictures here
βœ–