creating an extra breather

Ref Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI

I am thinking of creating an extra breather pipe using a split in one of my breather hoses (narrower bore - to throttle housing). I believe that this addition would lead to a cleaner breather system.

I note that the breather tubes are thick rubber. I have some thinner rubber, and wonder if this will serve. I assume that the thick rubber is only needed to prevent kinks (am I right).

My plan is to create a Y piece (at the split) and connect an extra hose to vent excess gas close to the base of the engine.

I think it best to create an extra breather rather than leave this split because the gas may accumulate and leak into the cab. I am in doubt about this though since the engine is exposed to the road, and therefore should allow air to circulate and keep the engine compartment clear. The cab also look isolated to me.

Let me know what you think

Ps. I note two breather pipes to the oil filler cap, and one hose to the body of the filler cap. Can someone explain the breather circulation process.

Reply to
species8350

Personally I'd make sure the original system is clean, all pipe ok/replaced and leave it at that unless your engine is knackered enough in some way to need an extra breather system.

Reply to
Malc

compartment

And another thing, surely if you put a pipe to the open air effectively from the throttle body you'll upset the airflow to the engine?

Reply to
Malc

The pipe with a split seems to vent gas - it is not an inlet pipe..

All I am proposing to do (in order to prevent breather blockage) is to seal the split, then make a hole in a more convenient position (same pipe), then lead a new pipe from this hole to the base of the engine for venting. Thereby preventing gas accumulating under the bonnet (venting may be adequate here because the engine is exposed to the road along the underside - but just in case)

Sp

Reply to
species8350

Oh never mind