dont

Well not many people use this site any more or is it that we have all got new cars.??

Reply to
Chris

17+ year old 405 still looks like new, only issue is that it has lost its aircon gas this summer, and 10 year old 106 looking like new as well. Both were bought new and have been great cars.
Reply to
mick

I think it means that those of us with earlier models that had built in problems have overcome them and the newer Pugs are markedly more reliable. Possibly also because the newer ones are much harder for the DIY owner to repair so they take it straight to the professionals.

Reply to
Tinkerer

Spot-on. Back in 505 and, even, 406 days, this group was a necessary resource. Now, in 407 days, the only help I sought (successfully) was on how to update the clock!.

Reply to
Ken

Actually, I think the biggest problems seemed to arise with the dreaded 307. The one that only avoided being last on Which's reliability list because the

807 got there first. ;o)
Reply to
Tinkerer

I've had my 406 for 6 years now 4 new tyres 1 new battery and 1 new tail pipe still banging out 47 mpg and never needs oil between services, done

137000 miles cant be bad.

Bystander Winchester

Reply to
Bystander

My 406 HDi is 1999 and was my company car, retiring with me in 2002.

136,000 miles but although the battery lasted until a year ago (and only then got replaced as a winter precaution) it has suffered from the known 406 problems, i.e. fuel lift pump breaking up and contaminating fuel system, rear door lock failing, terminals under front seats having to be soldered up because the airbag light was flashing, collapsed front strut spring and air recirculating flap motor stripping its gears. Other than that like you, tailpipe, tyres, 47mpg etc. Later models were modified to avoid some of these "known" problems, mine is a hybrid of MKl and MKll (effectively MKll mechanics in a partially face lifted MKl body) and was in the very first batch of common rail diesels.
Reply to
Tinkerer

I got over 100k out of each of my Pugs - a 504, a 505 and a 406 (all petrol). The fact that I now have a 407 Hdi speaks for itself in terms of satisfaction with the brand. The 407 is sleeker and more powerful than the 406 but less comfortable to drive (though OK). Next time around, hopefully, they will simplify the controls. There are many buttons I have never used and often I get to the settings I want by trial and error. Also the 406 had a memory storing two driver-seat/ mirror settings. I sadly miss that.

Reply to
Ken

I got over 100k out of each of my Pugs - a 504, a 505 and a 406 (all petrol). The fact that I now have a 407 Hdi speaks for itself in terms of satisfaction with the brand. The 407 is sleeker and more powerful than the 406 but less comfortable to drive (though OK). Next time around, hopefully, they will simplify the controls. There are many buttons I have never used and often I get to the settings I want by trial and error. Also the 406 had a memory storing two driver-seat/ mirror settings. I sadly miss that.

The thing I most missed when switching from 405 to 406 was the boot capacity. Moving the spare from the carrier under the boot on the 405 to the wheel well inside the boot on the 406 resulted in the loss of a surprising amount of space. I also preferred the mirror controls on the first 405 I had. There were two small joysticks on the centre console and alongside were controls for the electric windows, much nicer than the switch and selector and up/down buttons on the armrest.

Reply to
Tinkerer